Craftsman 42" mower, deck belt question

Eggbert

Threads
I have a DYT4000 mower and I need to replace the deck belt. The sticker under the hood calls for a 144959 belt which is a 1/2" x 95.5" belt. I downloaded an Owner's Manual from the net, but it's for a 917.273643 mower. So far, any parts I have identified from this manual have been the correct ones for my mower.

Until I get to the belt. The manual calls for a 174883 belt which is 5/8" x 97.5". It's likely the inside diameters of both belts are the same, or close enough as the thicker belt might make up for that extra 2" or outside circumference.

I was hoping someone might know if the thicker belt is an upgrade, or if it will work as it may last longer than the 1/2" belt. If not, I'll get the smaller one based on the machine's decal. It does appear from internet searching, that the smaller belt does have a short life expectancy, although that may be based on aftermarket belts.

So.... any info on this? Thank-you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This the very reason you look-up the mower's IPL using the model number off the serial tag and not the model number on the hood. There are several different versions of the DYT4000 out there. Also one belt is probably for a manual PTO and the other maybe for an electric PTO.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Inside lengths
A section 2" less then outside
B section 3" less than outside
So the belts are not the same effective lengths.
The pulleys will tell you which width belt to use
Very few Craftsman mowers used a 5/8" deck belt.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This the very reason you look-up the mower's IPL using the model number off the serial tag and not the model number on the hood. There are several different versions of the DYT4000 out there. Also one belt is probably for a manual PTO and the other maybe for an electric PTO.
Very true. I had two GT9000 serial at the shop a few years ago setting side by side and from the hood they looked almost identical. One was made by MTD and the other by Husqvarna.