Craftsman 38" Cv14 kolher command engine

Truckdriver09

Threads
Unfortunately, the float seems to be made out of plastic.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't like to do this, because it may end up costing even more money if it dies not work. You could take a hair dryer or heat gun and carefully heat up the tang on the float. When it is soft enough take a small screwdriver and bend the tang. If you try this think it through first. Which way are you going to bend the tang, to lower the fuel in the float bowl? if it does not work what will I do next? What if i break it? You only get one try when doing this and there is no going back.

wildbill

Threads
The plunger only guts off the gas to the main jet, nothing more or less.

Crank it and let it die, then pull the plug and see if it is wet. If so, the float needle is not working to cut off the gas after the float has risen to max bowl level. You will have to CLEAN the cylinder that the float needle slides in, the sides of the needle, and make sure the tabs on the float that the needle fits into have zero build-up. I have had to pull a carb back off after I thought it was clean. So, I use some 400 grit emory cloth to polish the needle cylinder until its a shine.

If the plug is dry, you are not getting enough fuel, likely a jet is plugged. Use some carb cleaner, air pressure, and a tie wire to make sure all is open.

ps- Change the plug first before doing anything.:thumbsup:

Truckdriver09

Threads
I know for sure that the plug would be wet if I pulled it because a few weeks ago I gave the lawn mower a complete tune-up. I was going to change the spark plug, but the plug that was already in the motor had more of the electrode on it than the brand new one that I bought from home depot. So all I did was regap it. Anyway, when I pulled the plug, I would say a good cup or so of fuel came running out of the plug hole. Everytime I cut the grass, I am able to run the mower for a brief period of time and then it just dies and it will not start back up unless I close the in-line fuel shutoff valve that I have installed. At which point I allow it to run on the gas that is already in the carb and once it dies again, I am able to open up the fuel shutoff valve and it will run fine again for another period of time and then I have to repeat the process. I am no expert with lawn mowers by any means but it only makes sense to me that the carb is getting flooded. I did pull the carb off of the mower yesterday and I checked to see if there was any build up on the float or around the hinge and I checked the float needle, which it has a tapered rubber tip on it and appears to be in like-new condition...I also checked the cylinder which the float needle goes into and I do not see any dirt or blockage of any kind. I did manually take my thumb and apply pressure to the float needle to push it up into the cylinder while I squirt some carb cleaner into the fuel inlet to make sure fuel was not getting pass the float needle and it did not. Now I am just speculating here, but is it possible that the plastic float is not applying enough pressure to the float needle to temporarily stop the incoming fuel?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have seen way too many float needle valves this year that look great but will not close the inlet seat. I bet if you replace the needle and seat you will solve your problem.

wildbill

Threads
Get some 400 grit paper and polish the inside of the needle barrel. I roll a small piece into a circle a little less in diameter as the bore of the needle cylinder and go to town on it, take your time. Its a good idea to replace the needle as well. It is hard to tell by eye when the cylinder build-up is only minimal but will still cause you problems. As you clean the I.D. of the cylinder you will see some powdery material building up on the sandpaper(actually you need the black colored Emory cloth for metal, body work type) Keep cleaning until all the powdery stuff is gone.