Export thread

Craftsman 247.288811 air cleaner cover removal - retainers just spin

D

dl324

Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove a stuck air cleaner cover when the retainers just spin? I tried lifting with vise grips while turning counterclockwise, but nothing engages.

It will help me a lot if anyone has pictures of what I'm dealing with under the cover.
blowerHousing.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

I

ILENGINE

engine model number info from valve cover would assist. Also the model number of the mower isn't showing up in the system. so may want to confirm model number in your description

D

dl324

Thanks for your response.

The actual model is 247.288811.

The engine part number is 31C707-3346-G2/G6. I'll get the engine model number the next time I'm by the mower.

Thanks

D

dl324

Engine model number is 31C707.

Thanks

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

PIA job but this is how it goes
Chop up the two nuts on the top so the cover can come off
Remove the blower housing & tap the 2 bolts out of the bottom ( the don't come out easy )
Get 2 new bolts and a new cover
Fill the hole in the blower housing with any hard setting epoxie you like grease the threaded section of the bolts to prevent the epoxie fouling the thread then poke the bolts through.
I have found the plastic petrol tank ribbon / tape works the best
Do 1 at a time 1 day apart .

StarTech

StarTech

Actually insert a small flat tip screwdriver up from the bottom to lock the hex head in place and then you should be to unscrew the retaining caps. Where the screw are they are just a loose fit with a small tab holding them in place. This get enlarged plus the screw threads getting rusty doesn't help so the hex starts to slip. The fix is one of two things either replace the shroud or make a custom hex head screw that fits tighter.

D

dl324

Edited the title to correct the model number. The error was pointed out in post #2.

D

dl324

@bertsmobile1 @StarTech thanks for the tips. I tried inserting some 1/32" shims (copper clad board scraps) under the knobs on 2 sides. Couldn't get anything to catch, so I'm probably going to use a hole saw and cut holes in the cover around the knobs.

My first thought was to just break the cover. Then I found out a replacement was going to cost something like $50 + s/h.

I have some plastic welding and stapling tools and I think I can repair the cover (eventually). My priority is to replace the air filter so I can use the mower.

StarTech

StarTech

Well maybe you need a visual aid as to where insert the skinny flat tip screwdriver.
1721511365822.png

D

dl324

Well maybe you need a visual aid as to where insert the skinny flat tip screwdriver.
That helps. Looks like I'm going to need to drill holes to be able to see where to put the screwdriver

StarTech

StarTech

Those ends are already open but got to feel you positioning of the screwdriver or use a mirror and a light bounce off the mirror. I have done it enough times that I can feel when the tip drop into the side of the hex head.

D

dl324

Do you happen to have any photos of what the nut looks like? Am I trying to keep it from spinning while turning the retaining knob counterclockwise to free it from the nut?

StarTech

StarTech

The nuts are part of the knob. The other part is a long screw with a small hex head. Just a little bigger than the unthreaded part of the screw. And no I don't an image here as the only camera phone I have just had the battery to swell up blowing the phone apart. The battery is claimed to be non replaceable.

D

dl324

I finally understand what you were describing. There are two holes accessible from the bottom. I stuck a flat screwdriver in the hole closest to the gas tank and I could feel something turning while I turned the knob. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to stop the retainer from spinning.

It looks like I'm going to have to use a hole saw to cut the housing around the knobs. Maybe I'll be able to get the knobs off when I can see what I'm doing.

Cusser

Cusser

I have the same type air filter cover on my lawn tractor. I went out and took some photos this morning for you. This should help.
ON27wRH.jpg

UncwcuD.jpg

3Fcc5EA.jpg

StarTech

StarTech

Sorry but you do not have the same type of air cleaner covers. You have the newer style which if the OP buys a new shroud he get the new style too. The old style uses hex screws and the knobs has embedded nuts. Those that you are bad to snap off and are sold by Briggs in pairs.

Cusser

Cusser

Sorry but you do not have the same type of air cleaner covers.

Never-mind.jpg

B

bertsmobile1

It is the thought that counts
Down here only JD used the style you showed for long time
Even worse was the cheaper style where the nobs had a hole open to the elements that filled with water ensuring that the nuts rusted onto the bolts unless the bolts were greased every service
FWIW I have never had any luck with the flat screwdriver to lock the bolt in position

B

bertsmobile1

You can remove the complete blower housing if you undo the carburettor at the head so it comes off with the housing
A bit tricky getting the governor link off but it can be done
This will then allow you to work on the screws without hanging from the ceiling .
The 2 knobs should be a replacement part if you have to chop them up to get the screws out
But double check their availability before you do this because as you know just the cover is $ 40 and the whole housing is over $ 100 .
I have had to resort to removing the entire blower housing on more than 1 occasion
Not sure of you engine but the bigger ones have a small self tapper that holds the lower housing to the carburettor manifold

D

dl324

I have the same type air filter cover on my lawn tractor. I went out and took some photos this morning for you.
Thanks for trying.