Craftsman 20hp OHV Lawn Tractor Quit after Shutoff

carlb43

Threads
I have a new problem that just developed today.

Earlier in the year I put a new starter on this mower and it has been working fine. I noticed the other day that the gauge that shows charge/discharge was showing only about 5volts. The battery was not low because it kept starting. The battery was new last fall.

Today I went out and it started and was showing a charge voltage of 15volts. I mowed about half of my lawn, which is large. On the back half of the lawn I stopped and shut it off to pick up sticks and limbs.

It sounded like something was still running. Starter motor maybe? What else would run off the battery? It finally quit. Then when I tried to start it nothing happened. It did not even click. The lights work. I don't think the battery is dead.

I am looking for tips and maybe where to start at to fix this problem. All help appreciated.

tankdriver

Threads
Do you have a multi meter? If so check the battery voltage. A charged 12vt battery should have 12.6 volts on it. A 12vt battery showing 12vts is run down. Next check and see if with the key OFF the starter is getting voltage. If so, how much. It should not be getting any. If it is your solenoid is stuck, or burned closed.

When you heard the noise was the starter trying to turn the engine over? If the solenoid is burned closed,it is possible that a low voltage is all that is getting through, just enough to run the starter slowly, but not enough to kick the gear up and in.

carlb43

Threads
Do you have a multi meter? If so check the battery voltage. A charged 12vt battery should have 12.6 volts on it. A 12vt battery showing 12vts is run down. Next check and see if with the key OFF the starter is getting voltage. If so, how much. It should not be getting any. If it is your solenoid is stuck, or burned closed.

When you heard the noise was the starter trying to turn the engine over? If the solenoid is burned closed,it is possible that a low voltage is all that is getting through, just enough to run the starter slowly, but not enough to kick the gear up and in.

I finally got back to this. Charged the battery for a couple of days. Took it off the charger and it read about 13.6 volts. Let it set overnight and read it this morning. Read about 12.5. Starts the mower just fine. You were spot on the voltage. Now I guess I need to determine if it is a battery that will not hold a charge or if the charging system is not working. The battery was new last fall but I may take it in
and have it tested. The voltage regulator would be a simple change out. The alternator would of course be another matter. Thanks for the tip.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't forget to look at the solenoid has the above member has told you, you should no volts on the starter side when key is in the off...! if you have, renew it.