Engine craftsman 19.5 riding lawn mower starts then quits. keeps losing spark

jettstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / craftsman 19.5 riding lawn mower starts then quits. keeps losing spark
Does anyone know about these Kohler 19.5 engines? I have a craftsman 46 inch riding lawn mower with the aforementioned engine. I get everything cleaned up so that I have spark then it will backfire and start to run. For a bout three minutes then dies and wont start. I check for spark and there is no spark. So then I clean on the coil and the flywheel and will have spark again. So I start it and we go through the same thing all over again. Also there is ,when its running , gas splashing up from the carburetor at times. Does anyone have any ideas why the spark keeps quitting or why there would be gas splashing out the carb? Thanks for any help or suggestions......:ashamed:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From what you are saying, I would look first at the flywheel key being partially sheared. Second you many have a coil that is heat shorting. This means when the coil heats up, the coil shorts or opens causing no spark.

wildbill

Threads
Several things come to mind: BUT
1- What year and model is the engine?
2- How are you checking the spark? Is your engine turning over fast enough after it dies?
3- What does the plug look like when it quits? Is it wet or dry?
4- Is the gas cap vented?

Do you have a good ohm meter? Depending on the type coil you have, the repair manuals will list the ohms required from the primary lead-to-laminations, secondary lead-to-plug wire, etc. It is worth investing in a manual, you can get them on line. If the coil is bad, and they usually last a long time, it will hit you at about $60-$70.

As far as gas splashing up, sounds like the unit is trying to flood, meaning the carb needs to be removed and the varnish deposits cleaned out of the needle-seat.

jettstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
This lawnmower was give to us with no manuals or nothing. The model number is 917250520. I dont know what year it is. Where would I get a manuel for it? We cleaned the carburetor took it all apart and cleaned it. The motor runs for about five minutes and then dies out. It will crank then but wont start. Upon looking and checking for spark there is no spark so we clean the coil and then there is spark again. And then it will usually backfire and then start and run for about five minutes spitting out gas through the carb. Do you think it could be valve problem?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know how you can clean a coil? This is an electrical problem, and I would just replace the coil. Take you ENGINE NUMBERS to your local repair shop and they can get you one.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rivets, he is probably using sand paper to clean the part next to the flywheel. I had an entire box of J19LM that would run about 5-10 minutes and the mower would die. Replace the plug and it would run another 5-10 minutes, repeat. Went to NGK and never had another problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IL, you are probably right, just that there are so many weird postings that you never know what they mean. Too many ask for help and then pick the easiest and cheapest way out, costing them more money in the long run.

wildbill

Threads
If you are looking for a Briggs manual, try Lawnmower Man.com, or perhaps Jackssmallengines.com. A while back I purchased some manuals from Lawnmower Man.com. I get parts all the time from Jackssmallengines.com. The Briggs & Stratton manuals cover a lot, but you will need to get the one that covers your type of engine. It could be a V-Twin, L-Head, etc. I have all of them but I need all of them. It is a good investment.

jettstar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know how you can clean a coil? This is an electrical problem, and I would just replace the coil. Take you ENGINE NUMBERS to your local repair shop and they can get you one.

Thank you EVERYONE for your imputs. It has sure helped. We have done everything except replace the coil. That is what we are looking at now. I will replace the spark plugs to an NGK too. I called about a coil and one is $125.00 then add shipping and tax. Wouldnt mind that too much if that is the problem. Will look on Internet to see what I can find one for there. But Thank You all!

wildbill

Threads
Google the jackssmallengines.com and partstree.com. You can get the coil MUCH cheaper