Craftsman 17hp Kohler Pro... Intermittent smoking

SuperDave4x4

Threads
  • / Craftsman 17hp Kohler Pro... Intermittent smoking
I realize that we need to backtrack a bit, and check this first:

Check your oil level and ensure that it is not over full, also, feel the oil with your finger, make sure it is thick, and all oil, and not half gas,
as a flooding carb can seep excess fuel into your crankcase, thus overfilling and smoking, and will eventually destroy the engine as the gas in the oil doesn't lube very well.

If you find oil in the gas, rebuild the carb, and change the oil, and put in an in-line fuel shutoff, to shut off when not using the mower.

I changed the oil and filter yesterday. Put 64oz in as that's what the sticker under the hood called for.

When I get back to the house ill check the oil for gas.

Compression check netted 70psi

SuperDave4x4

Threads
I changed the oil and filter yesterday. Put 64oz in as that's what the sticker under the hood called for.

When I get back to the house ill check the oil for gas.

Compression check netted 70psi

Didn't get to pull the valve cover today like planned. My girlfriend had me tied up with other work. I did however check the oil for gas and it seems ok to me, but only has about an hour of run time on it since I changed it. I didn't get any smell of gas.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Didn't get to pull the valve cover today like planned. My girlfriend had me tied up with other work. I did however check the oil for gas and it seems ok to me, but only has about an hour of run time on it since I changed it. I didn't get any smell of gas.

Well we need a pic of the girlfriend at least with her rope!!!!

SuperDave4x4

Threads
Well we need a pic of the girlfriend at least with her rope!!!!

Lmao! That rope is tight right now. We are remolding her house. I have zero time to tinker any more it seems like, but we are about to wrap up the kitchen.... Thank The Lord. Haha

Up loading a few videos. I hope the sound quality is there though because I used my phone.

SuperDave4x4

Threads
Ok they don't sound as good as I thought. I should have videoed at a different angle. You can here the popping ever so slightly in the videos it's the worst a low throttle.

Full throttle.

3/4 throttle.

Half throttle. This video came out nice. You can hear what's going on much better. I think the other two videos weren't so good because the phone was picking up the muffler noise more than the missing and popping.

SuperDave4x4

Threads
I'm hoping to be able to pull the valve cover either today or tomorrow.

Were my videos helpful at all?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well the popping might be unburnt fuel popping in the muffler, possibly from rich running due to an oil fouled air filter,take it off and start the engine. You ought to go ahead and lift off the hood, it'll make working and viewing the front a lot easier.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
fish, you go boy! like your style. my 24 Intek twin has no compression release, but maybe it's not "small." motoman

SuperDave4x4

Threads
Removed the valve cover and..... A good amount of oil fell out when I popped the cover off. Is that normal?? Also it looked as if there was a little but if gas or something in there with the oil. As it hit the ground is was less dense that the oil.

I cranked it up for a second or two and from the drivers seat I didn't see any oil spraying any where. Do u need to be actually looking closer at the head when is cranked at not behind the drivers seat?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Removed the valve cover and..... A good amount of oil fell out when I popped the cover off. Is that normal?? Also it looked as if there was a little but if gas or something in there with the oil. As it hit the ground is was less dense that the oil.

I cranked it up for a second or two and from the drivers seat I didn't see any oil spraying any where. Do u need to be actually looking closer at the head when is cranked at not behind the drivers seat?

Well the gas or whatever may just be the problem, as anything getting into the crankcase will make it overfill and smoke like a freight train.

Look closer at the carb, if the head was blown, you would likely know it, but just for kicks, have someone run it while you go around the front and watch.