Export thread

CRAFTMEN RIDEING LAWN MOWER

B

BRIANJBOLL67

IHAVE A RIDER THE MOWER CRANKS WONT START ITS GETING FUEL TESTED FOR SPARK NO SPARK REPLACE PTO SWITCH MODEL 917204010 JUMPED NETREL SWITCH SEAT SWITCH????????

R

Rivets

Remove the shroud and the kill wire from the coil. Recheck for spark. No spark, bad coil. Spark kill wire is shorting out somewhere.

B

BRIANJBOLL67

I REMOVE BOTH COIL WIRES IT STARTED I LOOKED AT WIREING DIDT ANY THING LIKED RUBBED WIRES BAD SMART SWITCH?????

B

BRIANJBOLL67

I REMOVE BOTH COIL WIRES IT STARTED I LOOKED AT WIREING DIDT ANY THING LIKED RUBBED WIRES

B

BRIANJBOLL67

I OHM THE WIRES OUT CANT FIND ANY BAD WIRES,HAS TO BE SWITCH DOSE ANYONE KNOW OF WAY TO GET RID OF THE SMART SWITCH????? AND INSTALL A KEY SWITCH

R

Rivets

Sorry, I don’t know how to rewire a key switch into those circuits.

B

bertsmobile1

Not straitforward plug & play but I have done quite a few
Easy ( expensive ) way is to buy the key switch & wiring harness for the same model that does not have the STUPID SWITCH .
They gave so much trouble they were dropped and the mowers went back to normal electrics
The harder way ( but cheaper ) is to buy a standard switch, some wire & terminals
Depending upon exactly which model you have some have the standard key switch plug and a pig tail to connect it to the Stupid Switch sp check the number of terminals and their positions before buying a new switch .

B

BRIANJBOLL67

Easy ( expensive ) way is to buy the key switch & wiring harness for the same model that does not have the STUPID SWITCH .
They gave so much trouble they were dropped and the mowers went back to normal electrics
The harder way ( but cheaper ) is to buy a standard switch, some wire & terminals
Depending upon exactly which model you have some have the standard key switch plug and a pig tail to connect it to the Stupid Switch sp check the number of terminals and their positions before buying a new switch .
THE MODEL OF MOWER IS 917 204010 CAN YOU GIVE ME A PART NUMBER FOR THE SWITCH

B

bertsmobile1

Switch is 532 19 33-50
Wire the tractor according to the schematic for YTH22V42, 96043021700, 2015-08, TRACTOR
which you can download from the Husqvarna web site
The wiring diagram is the first page in the parts book
down side is the plug is very hard to come by so I use plain terminals .
Spray the back of the switch with silicone spray
slde toilet roll / kitchen towl roll etc center down the wires
connect all of the wires, triple checking they are correct
Slide the toilet roll over the switch & fill with some potting mix , Body filler , JB weld etc to make your own plug
Beforeyou connect the battery again, check that the kill wire to the coils never connects to power or you will fry the wiring
Alternative is to buy the entire wiring harness for the Husqvarna

B

BRIANJBOLL67

hi do you have the part numbers for the switch and harness???? so i can into that

B

bertsmobile1

Switch is what I posted in reply #9
Loom should be one of these although it still might need some tweaking
532 40 10-98 for 3 amp alternator
532 40 21–67 for 9-16 amp alternator
The model number you gave was for a 24 Hp engine 48" cut
These are the Husqvarna looms for their current 24 / 48"
There can be subtle differences like the position of the hour meter , presence or absence of amp meter .

When I do these I use the model name on the hood decal
I drop that into Parts Tree which will bring up all of the mowers sold with that model name by year .
Then I start with the year that I have and go through all of the parts list till I get to the first one where the smart switch got dropped and the engine was the same .
Then I print out the wiring diagram for both and have a quick check that all of the perifferals are the same ( accessory plug / amp meter / etc ) .
You can double check to see if all of the other switches have the same part numbers so you don't end up trying to plug a 2 pin seat switch into the 4 pin socket
This takes up some time but I charge the customer for this because they wanted the job done quick
The two looms I posted will fit most mowers that came out of the husqvarna factory
I have limited access to Craftsman information because the ones we get here have different model numbers and names so I can not find the PERFECT loom for you .

K

kjonxx

Wouldn't it be easier to run a toggle kill switch on the dash, if it starts and runs.?
switch is ATP 193350 36.00 looks regular style

B

bertsmobile1

Wouldn't it be easier to run a toggle kill switch on the dash, if it starts and runs.?
switch is ATP 193350 36.00 looks regular style
Because we use them all the time, we forget just how dangerous an item a ride on mower is.
Now I for one believe that we are over protected and would be much happier seeing a lot more men hobbling around on a walking stick having chopped off part of their own foot or wearing a nice hook to replace the hand/finger they chopped off doing some thing stupid like clearing the chute while the blades are spinning because that would keep how dangerous mowers can be on the top of our minds .
However there is one item that protects others from the drivers stupidity , the seat kill switch and while doing what you suggest is definately easier, it make a potentially dangerous item even more dangerous .
Thus not recommended apart from a diagnostic tool or a get the mower back to your shed emergency repair.
Askjust about any tech and we all have stories about run away mowers that created mayhem because the owner was too lazy / cheap to repair the electrical system
I could not count how amny customers have bypassed their seat switch so they can get off heir mower with the engine running .
I ask then why they can not manage to set the parking brake to do this and most have no idea how to set the brake or even that doing this will allow the engine to continue to run but kill the blades
I do have more than one customer who mangled their foot when getting back on a mower with the blades spinning and either put their toes under the deck or slipped and put their foot into the belts.
The end results of them was not pretty .
Not long ago a grandad got 2 years gaol because his grandaughter was sitting on his lap while he was mowing, she slipped off , her foot lnaded on the deck and then got dragged into the pulleys by the belt
She lost her leg to the hip .
People do stupid things because they do not think about what they are doing

K

kjonxx

Because we use them all the time, we forget just how dangerous an item a ride on mower is.
Now I for one believe that we are over protected and would be much happier seeing a lot more men hobbling around on a walking stick having chopped off part of their own foot or wearing a nice hook to replace the hand/finger they chopped off doing some thing stupid like clearing the chute while the blades are spinning because that would keep how dangerous mowers can be on the top of our minds .
However there is one item that protects others from the drivers stupidity , the seat kill switch and while doing what you suggest is definately easier, it make a potentially dangerous item even more dangerous .
Thus not recommended apart from a diagnostic tool or a get the mower back to your shed emergency repair.
Askjust about any tech and we all have stories about run away mowers that created mayhem because the owner was too lazy / cheap to repair the electrical system
I could not count how amny customers have bypassed their seat switch so they can get off heir mower with the engine running .
I ask then why they can not manage to set the parking brake to do this and most have no idea how to set the brake or even that doing this will allow the engine to continue to run but kill the blades
I do have more than one customer who mangled their foot when getting back on a mower with the blades spinning and either put their toes under the deck or slipped and put their foot into the belts.
The end results of them was not pretty .
Not long ago a grandad got 2 years gaol because his grandaughter was sitting on his lap while he was mowing, she slipped off , her foot lnaded on the deck and then got dragged into the pulleys by the belt
She lost her leg to the hip .
People do stupid things because they do not think about what they are doing
i do agree so then run the toggle thru the seat switch or engagement switch, I should have been more clear.

B

bertsmobile1

i do agree so then run the toggle thru the seat switch or engagement switch, I should have been more clear.
Unfortuneatly that can not be done because ths mower comes with a smart (dumb) no key ignition switch.
as such all of the safety switches run through the smart ( dumb) switch.
And adding to that this has the 4 prong tamper proof seat switch
To keep all of the safety switches functioning properly it will also have to go through the PTO switch a well
They were so much trouble that after 3 years they were dropped and the mower s reverted back to a std key
So when confronted with one usually I look for either the previous loom or latter loom for that same model
In most cases the mower is fitted with all of standard wiring switches but they only connect the smart ( dumb) switch to one pair of contacts whch is why I originally started to convert them.
A new switch was around $ 400 ( aus ) and the complete loom + aftermrket switch is just under $300 so wih my time it works out the same for the customer except I have fitted 3 smart ( dumb) switches to one mower over 4 years .
Eventually It was the PTO diode that was found to be blowing the switches .
They were an OK idea but the wiring on a mower is too crude for them to last a long time

B

BRIANJBOLL67

Switch is what I posted in reply #9
Loom should be one of these although it still might need some tweaking
532 40 10-98 for 3 amp alternator
532 40 21–67 for 9-16 amp alternator
The model number you gave was for a 24 Hp engine 48" cut
These are the Husqvarna looms for their current 24 / 48"
There can be subtle differences like the position of the hour meter , presence or absence of amp meter .

When I do these I use the model name on the hood decal
I drop that into Parts Tree which will bring up all of the mowers sold with that model name by year .
Then I start with the year that I have and go through all of the parts list till I get to the first one where the smart switch got dropped and the engine was the same .
Then I print out the wiring diagram for both and have a quick check that all of the perifferals are the same ( accessory plug / amp meter / etc ) .
You can double check to see if all of the other switches have the same part numbers so you don't end up trying to plug a 2 pin seat switch into the 4 pin socket
This takes up some time but I charge the customer for this because they wanted the job done quick
The two looms I posted will fit most mowers that came out of the husqvarna factory
I have limited access to Craftsman information because the ones we get here have different model numbers and names so I can not find the PERFECT loom for you .
how about this i cut the from the coils and run to a kill switch?

B

bertsmobile1

Read post # 13
your mower , your family , your risk

B

BRIANJBOLL67

Read post # 13
your mower , your family , your risk
well if you counld extact part number and a it was a plug play thing i would it when i was kid most rideing lown mowers never had any of this shit

R

Rivets

Good luck Bert, this guy would like you to do everything for him. He doesn’t even understand your posts and wants you to make him a silk purse out of a sows ear at no cost to him. Also, I don’t think he has the knowledge to understand that electrical swapping of parts, is not science, but skill developed over time. You and I could do it if we were standing next to the unit, but trying to explain it to him is not worth my time.

B

bertsmobile1

Goes like this .
I am in Australia
Craftsman have me geo locked out of their data base
I showed you how to find the right loom for your mower
I gave you the part number for the switch
There is only so much I can do from here

As for safety devices
You got my thoughts on them as well.
No mower company ever added costs for the fun of it
All of them got done as the result of some one being seriously injured and successfully sueing the mower companies.

It is your mower
If you can not be bothered to action what you have been shown then nothing else I can do
If the mower was here in my workshop then I could look at it and know exactly what was needed
But I am not
So from now on I will not annoy you any more do as you want it is your mower .

B

boatmoter

IHAVE A RIDER THE MOWER CRANKS WONT START ITS GETING FUEL TESTED FOR SPARK NO SPARK REPLACE PTO SWITCH MODEL 917204010 JUMPED NETREL SWITCH SEAT SWITCH????????
I would check for 12 volts at the coil with ignition on, if you have it,then test for ground on the other terminal of the coil when cranking engine over then we can go from there