cracked transaxle mounting bracket

Cedare_2

Forum Newbie
I have a 242XD lawn tractor, and the bracket that holds the transaxle on has cracked, twice. The first time it cracked completely in two. I got a new bracket and took it to a welder to try to reinforce it, but the reinforcement did not work and it cracked again. I read somewhere that Husqvarna makes a kit to reinforce the bracket. Does anyone know about this, or have any suggestions for reinforcing it? I am attaching a photo of the second bracket that is cracking. IMG_20260225_131908018.jpg
 
I am not a welder or fabricator, but there are threads in this forum where mower frames crack too. Looking at that photo, the fabricator did not stop the corners from flexing, which is where it cracked. You could get another mount if available and do a replacement again, but I have a suspicion that if you make that area really rigid, the next crack will be in the frame. Might want to call the manufacturer and see if they have a fix. May be the kind of thing where it has to be checked and replaced every so many hours of use. Guessing that where you mow there may be a lot of frame twisting going on, like an irregular slope. Also look the frame over well. If it is cracked, it may be causing the transmission mounts to move more than designed.
 
If you are pulling a loaded trailer often or a large trailer, these brackets will not take the stress of the extra weight. Another problem is if someone is operating it and constantly "popping" the clutch or doing rapid back and forth movements that will fatigue the brackets.
 
When I see the frame rails cracking the first thing I look at is the front transmission support bracket. If the bolts are missing or in the case of Husqvarna tend to brreak off and will allow the transmission to rock and crack the asle supports. But also need to check the frame itself that will be visible if you look between the front of the fender and the tire. The frames will break in two at that point due to all the extra holes etc, and that is also were the front transmisison support bracket bolts to the frame.
 
Hmmm IPL doesn't even show the Strap Torque or the Mount Torque brackets for this TEX frame. So they appeared to not had been used.

A couple possible mods.

Those transaxle mounts need to be brace as a square U and not as a T. The T style does nothing for resisting the torque twisting.

Second you might be able to install the 532412170 and 532401564 torque brackets from the 2042LS TEX frame for that K46 transaxle. You will need 6 ea 5/16-18 x 3/4 (PN 817000512 / 532428867) Self tapping screws.

Now I have seen two these screws if the mower does already have the torque brackets to snap off at the transaxle. And as advised inspect the frame rails for cracking.
 
Hmmm IPL doesn't even show the Strap Torque or the Mount Torque brackets for this TEX frame. So they appeared to not had been used.

A couple possible mods.

Those transaxle mounts need to be brace as a square U and not as a T. The T style does nothing for resisting the torque twisting.

Second you might be able to install the 532412170 and 532401564 torque brackets from the 2042LS TEX frame for that K46 transaxle. You will need 6 ea 5/16-18 x 3/4 (PN 817000512 / 532428867) Self tapping screws.

Now I have seen two these screws if the mower does already have the torque brackets to snap off at the transaxle. And as advised inspect the frame rails for cracking.
Possible 325 and 326 on this diagram https://www.partstree.com/models/ts-242-xd-husqvarna-42-garden-tractor-original/drive-4/
 
Those would be the right ones per the descriptions. Boy I need to wait until the coffee kicks in. I was thinking those two were for the Fwd.Rev pedal as I didn't lookup their descriptions...I will try to do better next time as these IPL are not as straight forward as they once were.

Even Partstree is no keeping the reference numbers sorta I see. Trying to be like SearsPartsDirect I reckon.
 
To the OP. You have another thread from July 2025 where other things are cracking also but no outcome. Try letting people know if you resolved something.
 
Without seeing the complete assembly I'd check to see if there is room to weld your reinforcement plates on the ends of the bracket to form a semi-box, assuming that this would not interfere elsewhere, and remove the center previously welded reinforcement. Looks like the bending is orthogonal to the bottom plate. And that hole on the bottom left looks like it's worn quite a bit as tho the bolt wasn't screwed all the way down or bottomed in the hole. If necessary, to get good clamping add a washer on top of the plate under the bolt head or nut (whichever was on top) to get better contact. Sometimes reinforcements will make the part weaker in another direction or redirect forces to another area.
 
I had the same issue with my Ariens tractor. The ears for the transmission were both split, causing it to not go into gear. After researching it, I located a repair kit which involves cutting off the OEM ears and bolting on a new set. The new ears are heavier metal. It was a fairly easy job. This was a few years ago and it's holding up good.
 
Back
Top