Cracked spindle housing, advice?

burningstew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi first post and newish to the forum, wasnt sure if i should post here or in the general repairs section. Anyways, I ended up with a cub cadet i1042 (model 17AE9BKR010) a while ago and im just now getting around to fixing its issue with uneven mowing, one side is off by 3/4". Replaced a damaged blade with little/no change. Took the deck off and the spindle appears fine however the spindle housing has an ear thats completely broken off putting the blade at an angle. Unfortunately a new OEM spindle assembly is nearly 200$ and a fleabay one is ~140$.

Is there a way to safely rig/shim this so the blade is even again? Bearings seem fine and spin quietly and there is very little play in the pulley/blade itself. If not id also be open to getting a new housing as its only 40$ and reusing the guts from the current one, though ive never had one apart and dont know how involved/feasible such a task is, any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20221014_133205802.jpg
    IMG_20221014_133205802.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 12

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are going to need to pull the entire assembly and replace what is broken. The assembly can be broken down and the spindle can be replaced. The pulley and bushing will come off. Confirm this before buying the whole assembly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1665832564035.png
Spindle housing is PN 619-04199 (about $40) vs the 918-04512B or 918-04516A (depends on which spindle assy is needed. Don't forget to get new spindle mounting screws as they tend to break off removing or installing the old ones.

Rotary has an after market housing available (PN 12871) but its retail is nearly as much as the MTD (Cub Cadet ) direct price. As a dealer for Rotary it more cost effective for me to use it as cost us about half that of the MTD housing. But it can be found online for less than the MTD housing.

Note the bearings are 6204-2RS (sealed) or 6204-ZZ (if you wish to grease them). No point paying $20 each for them from MTD.

When reassembling the spindle torque the pulley nut to 90 ft/lbs. Also make you time the blades correctly.

bkeller500

Threads
Fix it properly with the correct parts. There is an on-going danger in not fixing correctly or by shimming a broken spindle. If you continue to use it after discovering the broken spindle you are putting yourself and others at risk from flying parts if it worsens. If it breaks while in use, you could further damage your mower deck, yourself or a innocent kid on a bicycle watching you mow. You get it. Spend the $200 and be safe, secure and enjoy the mow.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
One more thing that I forgot to mention. Make corresponding marks on the timing plate and timing pulley before separating them (part # 59 and #64). You shouldn’t have to separate them but, if you do, they will need to go back together exactly as they came apart.

burningstew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Definitely going to repair/replace the spindle after thinking about it and reading bkellers comment. Would still prefer to rebuild the spindle assembly with a new housing given the 160$ dfifference and that the timing pully, bearings, and spindle all appear to be fine(ofcourse cant be 100% sure until after disassembly). Thanks for the tip on marking the timing plate/pulley, wouldnt of thought of that.

Any issues i might run into when disassembling/reassembling the thing or tips for doing so? as for the spindle mounting screws do i need specific ones or will any appropriately sized self tapping ones work

Charlie8d

Threads
If you do a thorough search online by the part number, you can find the assembly a little cheaper than almost $200. I had rather replace the entire spindle to make sure it is done right & all parts match & there is no wear. Clean everything & LOOK closely at the other spindle as well . Vibration can cause damage to other areas of the deck.

cootertwo

Threads
I rebuilt my Cub Cadet deck using these deck reinforcement plates. I used 2 sets, one on top of the deck, and one on the bottom of the deck. Drilled out the threaded holes in the spindles, and used some grade 8 bolts and nuts. This helps the spindles from breaking an arm off, as they are very securly attached to the deck. I just went through a hurricane and had a yard full of tree limbs. Picked up the big stuff, and took my Cub Cadet with the deck raised all the way, with a set of gator blades, and mulched up the rest of the stuff no problem, and no broke spindles.

burningstew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thats significantly cheaper, thanks. Got the assembly apart(was much easier than i was expecting, practically fell out) and one of the bearings is bad so im gonna get a whole new assembly and keep the rest as spares.