Courage 20hp carb mounting studs...

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
My apologies for not having a modLe number handy. Will post tomorrow when I'm back at the shop.

This is the typical courage. The same one that always has the cranked block in the front upper corner.

2 studs hold the carb on. With a short bolt beside the one on the right that has the ground wire attache'd to it.

I've never taken the studs out of one of these. But on this one, both of them came out with the nut. The long one on the right, looks to be a self tapper.
Well someone tried to tap it after it bottomed out and stripped the threads.
Customer isn't wanting to.put anymore money into this, so I put some blue lock tight on it and screwed it in til it bottomed out. It's finger tight. But I'm afraid it's not going to work.

Looking for solutions. Tap it and hope I can fine the right bolt to replace it is the only solid solution I can think of.

Anyone got any other ideas?

P.S. will a leak between carb & head cause engine to surge?

Last edited:

Mower King

Threads
Heli-coils if you can find that thread pitch.....I have made them work in some tougher spots then that!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes, an air (vacuum) leak will cause an engine to surge.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is an old design heat defector and have been since replaced. PN 20 365 09-S. It is a $20 retail kit.
Heat-Shield-20-265-09-S-01688919.jpg

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is an old design heat defector and have been since replaced. PN 20 365 09-S. It is a $20 retail kit.
Heat-Shield-20-265-09-S-01688919.jpg

I'm glad you posted that because I remember having trouble getting the right carb bolt to stay far enough out to get a nut on it. On many occasions.
That's what's different abut this one. The right bolt being threaded into the head.

Thanks man.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think if you pull the heat deflector off you find there is a huge piece plastic on the head intake side that the long bolt screws into. I have only seen one of these and had to replace ti.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was my ignorance that caused me to post this thread. That other long screw was stripped out if through plastic heat shield. Not the head.

I almost tried some epoxy on it.but said screw it and order the part you posted.

Also, I got me a can of WD40, with the long bendable spout, got behind the shields and carb. As soon as it sprayed, the surging stopped.
So that's good news. The new heat shield will fix that problem too.