Couple New Projects

hanyoukimura

Threads
Well I have a couple new projects! Came across a Craigslist add for two lawn running lawn mowers for $10, one with deck issues. The price was too good to pass up.

They're both basic MTD Yard Machines of a similar vintage with similar decks using 3.5 hp Tecumseh engines, though the engines aren't identical. Now when he said one has deck issues he meant that two of the wheels had rusted off. It's in rough shape. But that's ok because I have a spare deck. As for the engines, both of them started right up on the first pull after 3 primes, so I'm very pleased.

Here's a shot of the "fleet".

IMG_8572.jpg

Here's the first one.

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

Not bad under the deck either.

IMG_8590.jpg

It's deck seems to be pretty solid, it just has some saggy wheel issues. However I can steal the two remaining wheels from the other mower...they're exactly the same.

Now about that other one...

IMG_8578.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8589.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

And that's nothing compared to how it looks underneath.

IMG_8589.jpg

But that's ok, because I have that green 22" (which is also a Yard Machines as it happens) left over from my Brute build.

IMG_8586.jpg

Couple minutes later...

IMG_8591.jpg

IMG_8592.jpg

IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

Ze operation vas a success!

So what's my plan for these? I'm going to clean the engines and tune them up, then repaint the decks and resell them, make some extra money on the side, which can be used towards other projects, like my car!

hanyoukimura

Threads
Not sure if anyone's interested, but if they are here's a little update.

Pressure washed the mowers today, engines cleaned up nice, the orange deck lots a lot of paint, which is fine since it's going to be repainted.

Tomorrow I plan to patch a small rust spot on the orange one and disassemble it so I can get to work sanding it and prepping it for paint on Wednesday, if all goes well.

IMG_8595.jpg

IMG_8596.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

jt2953

Threads
For the saggy wheels, you could put a short small pipe with a pare of washers if it bothers you. I know i would with me :laughing:

hanyoukimura

Threads
I've unexpectedly ended up with 2 more free mowers. One is a Yard Man with a Briggs Quantum that didn't run, however some new gaskets and a really good carb and fuel system cleaning later and it runs and cuts well. This one is pretty much ready to go pending a new throttle lever.

The other one I acquired (just yesterday) is a Yard Machines mower very similar to the green one pictured above with a Briggs classic on it. Doesn't run either, looks to have the same bad gas, dirty carb issue the Yard Man had. I will toy with that later.

I've finally started work on the red-orange Yard Machines. Stripped most of the paint down to metal on top. I'm debating what to do with the underside of the deck. I was thinking of just leaving it, or maybe get all the paint and grime off, then spray truck bed armor on it.

Has anyone tried bed liner under their decks? Its tough stuff and I'm thinking if I do this it may help keep rust away and be durable enough to not erode away.

hanyoukimura

Threads
The current project is this one, an MTD (all of these mowers except the Brute are MTDs) Yard Machines 114-034F000.

Unlike the other one, which is pretty identical, this deck seemed solid, just pretty rough, so I elected to "restore" it. I want to get better at painting anyway, so its a good project I don't have to worry about making mistakes on, since it won't look any worse! I was originally going to just do the top, but after uncovering some small rust holes I decided it would be best to sand down the whole thing and patch the holes with Plastic Metal.

This is how it looked when I got it.

IMG_8583.jpg

And after a good pressure washing, took a bunch of the paint off it!

IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8622.png

IMG_8627.png

IMG_8629.png

IMG_8631.png

Ready to prime!

IMG_8634.png

IMG_8637.png

hudster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't stop. Want to see it painted and back together.

hanyoukimura

Threads
My pleasure.

IMG_8583.jpg

IMG_8680.png

IMG_8681.png

IMG_8684.png

IMG_8683.png

Engine being cleaned and tuned up.

IMG_8686.png

And the finished product.

IMG_8688.png

IMG_8689.png

IMG_8690.png

IMG_8691.png

IMG_8692.png

IMG_8694.png

IMG_8696.png

IMG_8697.png

IMG_8701.png

It is essentially a brand new mower.

hudster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for posting the follow up and all the pics. Nice job, hope it sell quick for you.

rb411bl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well thats a bit of work for an old mower, but well done! I've got a couple of trucks and a k-5 back here if you have some more spare time. ha. ha. ha.:smile:

hanyoukimura

Threads
Sure but I charge by the hour. :p

It's already been sold to a friend. Fun project, more work than I'd normally put into one, but I wanted to practice body work.