Cool freebie!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
My neighbor gave me this trimmer - he couldn't get it running - so I did! That's my leaf blower attachment. Cool thing about this is, althought I think It's a Homelite, it's made by (or for) John Deere Consumer Products! I've seen simmilar 'expand it' (or as Homelite calls it 'versa tool'.....) trimmers on ebay in green....exact same plastic, just green, with JD stickers on it. Runs my tiller pretty good, too!

Attachments

• DSCF0700.JPG
    DSCF0700.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0706.JPG
    DSCF0706.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0703.JPG
    DSCF0703.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 20

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thats the best kind of equipment....FREE. :thumbsup: What did it take to get it running? And did you tell the giver what the problem was?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thats the best kind of equipment....FREE. :thumbsup: What did it take to get it running? And did you tell the giver what the problem was?

The carb was waaaaay out of adj. I started it on ether, and adjusted it until it would run. Then, I fine tuned it till it REALLY ran! :biggrin: I 'have a gift with these things'......as my dad always said. Got his very expensive John Deere 200g trimmer running at 14, when he couldn't! Again, carb issues. (he didn't know whether to be thankful, or mad.......:laughing: )

Yeah, I told him. He got it in a box lot at an auction. (this wasn't what he was after) He usually junks stuff like this.....But I happened to be there the day he was gonna chuck it.......so, he really didn't care.

My Ryobi has a straight-shaft, and I hate it. This came with a curved shaft, but no guts. Looking at ebay now to get guts at a good price. Also gonna buy a pole saw for it - to clean up the freakin mess mommy nature left me couple weeks ago.......

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Ryobi has a straight-shaft, and I hate it. This came with a curved shaft, but no guts.

I have only had straight shaft Echo trimmers... is it a problem with only Ryobi or just any straight shaft trimmer?
Myself I love almost any 'free' deal.. That's the BEST,
and getting them to work only makes it better...

I never did look too hard at the various 'click on' attachments ... are they worth accumulating? A trimmer "pole saw" sounds handy... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
KennyV said:
I have only had straight shaft Echo trimmers... is it a problem with only Ryobi or just any straight shaft trimmer?
Myself I love almost any 'free' deal.. That's the BEST,
and getting them to work only makes it better...

I never did look too hard at the various 'click on' attachments ... are they worth accumulating? A trimmer "pole saw" sounds handy... :smile:KennyV

I don't like the angle straight shaft puts the head. I like it to be level. To get a straight shaft to be level, I have to hold it too low, and its hard on my back. Just me.

As far as the attachments, they are worth every penny! I use mine all the time...even the cultivator tiller. They work great, and the only thing i don't have is the pole saw.

Last edited:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, just came from Home Depot. Bought the Ryobi 10" pole saw attachment - complete with bar oil, and shoulder strap, 12' reach (and a bar you can change angles), for $99. Also bought a Rhino-Tuff brush cutter head (with the replaceable blades) for my straight shaft attachment, and bought the guts (and bump nut) for the curved shaft attachment. Gonna have to machine down the adapter nut for the brush cutter, and chase the threads for the bump nut at the shop, but it'll be awhile before I need them anyhow - so I have lots of time. :smile:

I'm set for trimmer attachment stuff! I forgot - I don't have the edger, either. Will get that someday. Will have my girl take some pics of me using the pole saw when I get around to it. The limnbs aren't going anywhere! Now, i hafta dig out my echo.......

Attachments

• DSCF0707.JPG
    DSCF0707.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0708.JPG
    DSCF0708.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 10

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, just came from Home Depot.
Now, i hafta dig out my echo.......

Sounds like you are loaded up with all the handiest of the attachments... Guess I will have to give them a more serious look... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Speaking of my Echo........

Attachments

• DSCF0710.JPG
    DSCF0710.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0709.JPG
    DSCF0709.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 10

173abn

Threads
twall,does that chainsaw attach. work pretty good?I was thinking of getting one for my sthil but am not sure how good it would work. ..russ

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
twall,does that chainsaw attach. work pretty good?I was thinking of getting one for my sthil but am not sure how good it would work. ..russ

Although I didn't get any pics, it did work pretty well. That driveshaft seems to eat up power, though. My Homelite is a 30cc, as is my echo - the pole saw is 10", my echo 14" - but it didn't seem to have much in the oomph department. The difference between shaft and direct dirve! I know - it's apples to oranges. :wink:

It works well for what it's intended use is: trimming small branches off 12' in the air, without a ladder. It's not as cumbersome as it looks. All the pieces are lightweight stuff. Not something my mother would be trimming branches with - but I could see my 73 year old dad using it no problem.

I would caution you this: Don't think because it's a 10" bar, you can go hacking off a limb that's 20' long and 6" around where you wanna cut. I tried a 4" limb......about 15' long pine (did cut it into 3 pieces before I got to the base - it wasn't enough), and it was scary. You can't tilt the bar at a 90 degree angle, so you can't properly cut the bottom/top like you should. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 3" dia. limb myself. (....and I won't anymore)