Cool building idea

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yesterday I was driving around, and I saw a new house set back from the road, with a very unique design. There was a large 3 car garage attached to the house, and the driveway from the road went straght toward the garage, then divided into a circular loop that went around the garage and joined a huge concrete pad at both front and back of the garage, and there were matching sets of doors on both front and back. So you could pull into your driveway, open one door, drive in nose first and then by opening the second door on the other side, drive back out and never have to reverse your vehicle to pull out. Lots of extra concrete, several extra doors and openers...but really nice to have.

I have a 24X36 two story barn, built about 1890, that had one set of slider doors on one end...I removed the doors and added an overhead door and opener, that was a few years back. This fall, I opened up the other end and installed another door and opener, meaning if I only had one vehicle to put in there, I could do the same drive-thru mode the owner of the house I just saw. Problem is, I store my truck, John Deere, and two ATV's in the barn...so forget about any drive-thru antics....:laughing: boy do I ever envy that guy with the six door garage !!!

Driller

Threads
That does sound very convenient. I have always liked those homes that have the arced driveway for the very same reason. I have arc envy. :}

Rocky

Threads
I wonder if they had a bad experience crashing into something going in reverse once, or something. I was always taught to minimize going in reverse for that very reason.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yesterday I was driving around, and I saw a new house set back from the road, with a very unique design. There was a large 3 car garage attached to the house, and the driveway from the road went straght toward the garage, then divided into a circular loop that went around the garage and joined a huge concrete pad at both front and back of the garage, and there were matching sets of doors on both front and back. So you could pull into your driveway, open one door, drive in nose first and then by opening the second door on the other side, drive back out and never have to reverse your vehicle to pull out. Lots of extra concrete, several extra doors and openers...but really nice to have.

I have a 24X36 two story barn, built about 1890, that had one set of slider doors on one end...I removed the doors and added an overhead door and opener, that was a few years back. This fall, I opened up the other end and installed another door and opener, meaning if I only had one vehicle to put in there, I could do the same drive-thru mode the owner of the house I just saw. Problem is, I store my truck, John Deere, and two ATV's in the barn...so forget about any drive-thru antics....:laughing: boy do I ever envy that guy with the six door garage !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen that a few times and it works exceptionally well if one lives in town on a corner lot never having to back out into traffic.

adan

Threads
The garage design idea is definitely cool. It works best for people who hate backing their cars. I don't happen to belong to that category :) But if resources are not an issue, why not indeed? I would credit this design for one thing: fluidity. No dead-ends.

junebug1701

Threads
When I was a kid I watched the Batman TV show. He had a turntable in the Batcave so when he pulled onto the turntable, the Batmobile spun around 180 degrees! Batman never had to back up to leave the Batcave!

Stevie-Ray

Threads
I still have to build a garage on my northern property. It's going to be at least 30X40, with at least one overhead door at the west end. The north face will probably have at least 2 more OHs. I'll need some space inside to work on things, so it won't just be for storing vehicles, toys, etc. I'm still trying to figure out the driveway options.