Convert string trimmer to edger?

Dradis

Threads
I have a Mac 3227 straight shaft string trimmer/brush cutter. I would like to convert it to an edger. I understand that there are convertible systems and that this is not one of them. What I want to do is disassemble it, remove the string trimmer head, and rebuild it with an edger head. Basically just using the motor and shaft. Is the an edger head model that would fit this shaft?

P.S. I understand that this machine was not designed for this. I wish to try it anyway.
P.P.S. please do not suggest that I get a convertible system. I do not want a convertible system.

chobbs1957

Threads
I replaced the string head with a brush head on mine and used for an entire season. It's really tedious holding that thing straight and steady. I tried to get smart and build a caster assembly attached to the main shaft with slotted angle hardware, and had moderate success.

The head I used was Stihl "Metal Brush Knife" with 3 cutting points, as recommended by my dealer. It worked really well.
CorpMain.png

The head was about $40, and was worn out after one season of use one time a week at home and about one time every three weeks at my church. By the time I bought the hardware to hold the caster, I had about $60 in it. The next season I bought a real edger!

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my contraption. The caster assembly was very light weight so I just left it on there. I still have the caster assembly outside, and will try to add a pic later today sometime.

I was fairly satisfied with it, found it to be pretty versatile in that I could convert back to to string trimmer fast. It sounds like you want a more permanent changeover, as I needed to still have the ability to use mine as a trimmer. The caster assembly was very light weight so I just left it on there. I still have the caster assembly outside, and will try to add a pic later today sometime.

I have a Mac 3227 straight shaft string trimmer/brush cutter. I would like to convert it to an edger. I understand that there are convertible systems and that this is not one of them. What I want to do is disassemble it, remove the string trimmer head, and rebuild it with an edger head. Basically just using the motor and shaft. Is the an edger head model that would fit this shaft?

P.S. I understand that this machine was not designed for this. I wish to try it anyway.
P.P.S. please do not suggest that I get a convertible system. I do not want a convertible system.