Export thread

Continuous using air filter

J

jcworks

2013 Toro MX5060, Kawasaki 23hp. Sometimes it gets real dry and the mower kicks up a lot of dust, especially under all the big trees I have. I take off the paper filter and tap it on a tree trunk getting a lot of dust out of it. I have a foam pre-filter on it but lots of dust still is on the paper. Question is how does one know when to toss it and get a new one? Or can you keep using it like this?

S

Skippydiesel

Tough question as every situaton is diffrent.

The more a filter catches the cleaner the air so you won't damage the engine.

I guess you will have to be guided by how the engine is running (after filter tapping/cleaning with compressed air) -
Does it cold start without the choke ? - this might be an indication that the filter is restricting air flow too much - change the filter.
Engine not making full power/rpm ? - could be an indication it's not getting sufficient air for good combustion - change the filter

J

jcworks

Tough question as every situaton is diffrent.

The more a filter catches the cleaner the air so you won't damage the engine.

I guess you will have to be guided by how the engine is running (after filter tapping/cleaning with compressed air) -
Does it cold start without the choke ? - this might be an indication that the filter is restricting air flow too much - change the filter.
Engine not making full power/rpm ? - could be an indication it's not getting sufficient air for good combustion - change the filter
The engine runs fine. Between mowings I sometimes have to choke it; other times it starts without choking. Either way it runs good. I'll just get a new filter. This one's been on a couple of years.

B

bertsmobile1

Dust on the outside of the filter actually makes it work better
Dust on the inside of the filter means the filter has a hole in it and needs replacing .
A filter is clogged when the mower starts to blow black smoke like the choke has been left on for too long

G

GearHead36

Do you oil your pre-filter? Those are supposed to get oiled.

S

Skippydiesel

Onl
Only in those systems where it is specified - read your owner/maintenance manual for instructions.

G

GearHead36

Onl

Only in those systems where it is specified - read your owner/maintenance manual for instructions.
Ok. I figured that any foam filter or pre-filter needed oil. In my fleet, I have two pre-filters and one foam filter. They all call for oil.

J

jcworks

Dust on the outside of the filter actually makes it work better
Dust on the inside of the filter means the filter has a hole in it and needs replacing .
A filter is clogged when the mower starts to blow black smoke like the choke has been left on for too long

No I don't.

H

hlw49

Manufactures do not reccomend blowing the air filter out with compressed air as you can blow a hole in the paper element. Rendering it useless. Kawasaki does not reccomend oiling the prefilter.

J

jcworks

Manufactures do not reccomend blowing the air filter out with compressed air as you can blow a hole in the paper element. Rendering it useless. Kawasaki does not reccomend oiling the prefilter.
I kind of figured that. Thanks.