Constant flooding

Coinhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am on my 4th carburetor trying to stop my Kohler engine from flooding. I have purchased the cheapo carbs and progressively bought a better one each time. This last one is a Stens 520-118 to fit the Kohler CV493 engine. I have also replaced the fuel pump 2x. Nothing I do seems to help or stop the problem. You can start the motor, it will run long enough for more fuel to be pulled from the tank and then stop. After sitting for 5-10 minutes it will restart as long as the fuel is turned off. Turn it on the same thing happens. I did manage to get it running long enough to back it out and make one lap in my yard before stopping. This was accomplished by restricting the flow using the fuel shut off valve. I haven't been able to do this again. I am at my wits end. Could it possibly be the valves are so far out that it is creating too much vacuum through the ovhc port that pulls the fuel out of the tank to the carb? Can anyone help me please? My son in laws brother normally helps me but he is tired of fooling with it and I don't blame him.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
My guess is you have rubber fuel lines coming apart internally or trash in the tank and lines and its getting caught in the needle valve and holding it open. When the carb starts flooding again, take it apart, take the needle out and clean the seat area out and the fuel inlet out, reinstall and see what happens

Coinhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your suggestions. I have done all the following, all fuel lines have been replaced, new filter, tank removed and cleaned, flywheel removed and head area fins cleaned out, flywheel key replaced, new coil, new everything electrical replaced. I have even washed the engine block removing grease and grime and polished some of the discolored aluminum back to shine. I am recovering from hip replacement so I have some free time. LOL If I can get it running good the mower is going into my garage for a disassembly complete washing sandblasting and repaint. I want my stuff to look new even when it is 12 -15 years old.

Last edited:

Coinhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you looked at the spark plugs? Are they wet?
Single cylinder and the plug is very wet. You can see fuel standing in the air intake body. When it drys out it will start up again. Then same thing over and over.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Before we go any further lets get the complete model and spec number off the engine CV493-_ _ _ _
Alot of times there are different Carburetors used on the same engine model, one may be gravity fed, and the other a pump feed.. If you put a gravity feed on a pump engine, that won't work. (Some one like StarTech, rivets or illengine could explain this much better)

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before we go any further lets get the complete model and spec number off the engine CV493-_ _ _ _
Alot of times there are different Carburetors used on the same engine model, one may be gravity fed, and the other a pump feed.. If you put a gravity feed on a pump engine, that won't work. (Some one like StarTech, rivets or illengine could explain this much better)
Fuel pump carbs use a smaller opening in the float valve seat to help prevent fuel pressure from a pump from overwhelming the float.

Also appears that the 520-118 or replacement for the 12 853 117-S carb is for the fuel pump equipped engine.

This may not apply but make sure that the gasket between the carb and the air filter mounting base isn't restricting the carb vent which could be located off to one side of the venturi on the gasket mounting flange. If the carb bowl vent gets blocked off can cause a siphoning effect.

Last edited: