Compression ? Read before you get ripped off!

cbr7380

Threads
Just a heads up about compression issues..I have a Husqvarna YTH1842 with a Briggs and Stratton intek engine. Shops and mechanics are quick to say it's a compression or compression release issue..I was told $400 to fix my mower when in reality all it cost was watching a youtube video and adjusting the valves myself now it's ran fine ever since

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just a heads up about compression issues..I have a Husqvarna YTH1842 with a Briggs and Stratton intek engine. Shops and mechanics are quick to say it's a compression or compression release issue..I was told $400 to fix my mower when in reality all it cost was watching a youtube video and adjusting the valves myself now it's ran fine ever since
And you missed the point about it being a compression or compression release problem. The valves being out of spec allowing the compression release to not work is a compression or compression release problem. But the other half of the compression problem or compression release problem is the compression release on the camshaft which is also very common issue with those single cylinder intek engines.

cbr7380

Threads
yes just saying that they were gonna charge $400! Valve adjustment isn't a $40 job much less a $400 job...It is a common thing with small engine shops and repairmen! They tell someone it's a "compression" issue and a lot of people take their word..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I know this shop for one will tell it can just be valves out adjustment or worst but the valves has to adjusted first to find out if it is worst. Yes some shops will take advantage of the unsuspecting customers but don't blame all of us. I run a honest shop but it is customers like you that are a problem at times too. Some think I run a 24/7 operation. I ran two off yesterday; they didn't the $130 minimum charge for Sunday work. Even a chain across the driveway didn't stop them. But I got a solution for those otherwise pushy customers my Sunday rate is double my normal rates.
yes just saying that they were gonna charge $400! Valve adjustment isn't a $40 job much less a $400 job...It is a common thing with small engine shops and repairmen! They tell someone it's a "compression" issue and a lot of people take their word..
Well in my shop it is a $65+ job as your would get either a new rocker cover gasket or new RTV sealed one. I do have a minimum charge but includes me checking out the rest of mower while I at it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I used to do them while the customer waited
This was generally after they had already thrown up to $ 500 ( aus) of parts at it .
I charged them 15 minutes + a rocker covr gasket where needed ( $32 )
Just about every one abused me when they saw it was a simple 5 minute job and some even refused to pay for the gasket because there was silicone in there in the first place .
So your arguement goes both ways
Now I tell them " gees I dunno you have done just about everything , leave it here for a week & I will go through it ".
Then a week latter I charge them a full hour + gasket ( $ 87 ) and they leave happy .
And in that hour I give the mower a full safety check and a list of things that need attention
The really annoying bit is checking the valve lash is a service job that is written in the owners book that they were too lazy or arogant to read .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
CBR, you are lumping all service shops together. Just like every business, there are good ones and bad ones. The 10% bad ones give the industry a bad reputation. On top of that, there are too many “KNOW IT ALL GUYS” who saw a video or used to work on ???? that have no clue what it takes to be a real professional in this industry. The real guys can tell you horror stories of things they’ve seen by DIY and bad guys. Even on this forum the real guys are chastised for advising people how they would do a repair that may cost more than the person realized. I believe that the majority of people who ask for help, want to do it the cheapest way, not the best way, to solve their problem. We’ve even been ridiculed by individuals who want FREE advice and because we don’t get all needed info, can’t help them. This forum is a FREE service, not a FREE handout.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert most owners File 13 the owners manual as soon as they can.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And then there are customers that straight their chainsaws and expect us to repair it for free just we worked on it recently. I got one those just in. It was return two months ago and now it is ruined.

Forest#2

Threads
AND dealing with whining, griping customers is the hardest part for me, especially the ones that EXPECT a lifetime warranty once I've touched their equipment.
We all have seen machines that needs lots of additional work that the whiner is not even aware of and repairing their complaint will just be a waste of time.