Command pro 18 single cylinder spark question

Jeepbut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine serial # 3515227461. Was mowing with Dixon and engine died as if I turned off the key. I have plug wire on ignition tester with plug out. When I hit starter I have spark for about 4 revolutions, then no spark. I can wait a little while and try again, same results, spark for about 4 revolutions, then no spark. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Remove the blower housing and disconnect the single wire going to the module and rerun the test. If it sparks 4 times and then quits then replace the ignition module 12 584 04-S

Jeepbut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE. I will try that.

Jeepbut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't get the blower housing off. Seems like all bolts are out, it feels loose, but won't lift up. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can't get the blower housing off. Seems like all bolts are out, it feels loose, but won't lift up. Any ideas?
I am not sure what all you have removed. But from the diagrams you may need to remove the grass cover from the blower housing so you can remove the rotating screen before the housing comes off.

Jeepbut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not sure what all you have removed. But from the diagrams you may need to remove the grass cover from the blower housing so you can remove the rotating screen before the housing comes off.
I got it off. Disconnected wire to module. Stronger spark than before and continuous spark as long as engine is turning. Is the wire going to the module a full 12 volts? do I have a short or broken wire or is there a resistor that could be bad? Thanks again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
CV493-27542

I got it off. Disconnected wire to module. Stronger spark than before and continuous spark as long as engine is turning. Is the wire going to the module a full 12 volts? do I have a short or broken wire or is there a resistor that could be bad? Thanks again.
No, it is a grounded wire when the engine is off. Putting 12v on it will destroy the coil's electronics.

It appears you have an engine's kill circuit problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It could be something as simple as a bare spot on the kill wire where it could be rubbing on a metal part of the engine.

Jeepbut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I'll check that out. Thank you. So, the kill wire is nothing but a ground when the key in off position?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay, I'll check that out. Thank you. So, the kill wire is nothing but a ground when the key in off position?
Correct