cold start tips for the Kubota diesel 'Hoppers?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I realize it's a bit early for winter weather concerns, but as I am hoping to pick up a snow thrower by Fall i wanted to know if there are any tricks or tips using the diesel Grasshoppers when it starts getting really cold outside? I know my old diesel truck had a few quirks when the temps started dropping. Sure would appreciate any advice from those who use their 'Hoppers in winter for snow removal.

Thank you!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a Kubota diesel engine... It will have a glow plug system on it...
I don't know if yours is manual or automatic glow plugs. (I have both)... The automatic will give you an indicator that shows they are heating, and will turn off when it's okay to crank the engine over...
The manual system you will have to activate manually and know how much heat needs applied...
My automatic system will activate for a second or so even at 100 degrees, & it will stay on for around 10 seconds when the temperature is below zero f.
With the manual system I have found it helps starts even during the summer...
So save your starter and use the glow plugs... Your not going to make it too hot, with gloww plus... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
CAUTION

DO NOT SPRAY STARTING FLUID IN IT IF IT HAS WORKING GLOW PLUGS:eek::thumbdown::thumbdown:

mjstef

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put in a Katt's 600 watt block heater. Your local NAPA will sell you the correct size for your freeze plug for around $25.......................

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Michigan & Montana most likely get much colder winters than I do here in Kansas...
A coolant heater will do you much more good than it would me... Even at -10 f, I can give my Kubotas a double round of glow plug time... and they light right up... they will rattle a bit but never a problem starting.
I always give them plenty of warm up time to heat the hydraulic oil before I make anything move, but the hydraulic pumps get things warmed up fairly quick....

One thing to keep in mind with a diesel engine.... If it is reluctant too start because of the cold. Stay with the starter for a couple of seconds after it first lights up... the RPM's are very low and the starter will will help it a lot on it's first dozen or so revelations... Much easier on the starter to help keep it running than having to restart from a cold stall.... :smile:KennyV

Threads
My 930D's start no problem with a double hit on the glow plugs no matter how cold it is... we run them with blowers all winter long...