Cold start problem

losroberto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, i have a Starting problem when it's Colder outside on my Columbia riding mower with 17.5 B&S engine.

If i let the mower outside on the Sun for a couple of Time, it start perfectly but when it's cold outside it won't start unless i spray some carb cleaner in the air intake

When It's started the mower run fine until i shut it down and if i try to start it after, it Will start without problem.

Things that i've change
-new battery
-new fuel in the fuel tank
-new Spark plug
-the oil has Been changed with 10w30

I've checked the Choke plate and it close fine

The engine is cranking really faster when i shoot carb cleaner and it start right after

I don't know where to start looking, maybe valve adjustment?
Any recommandations is apreciated

Ocean909

Threads
Hi everyone, i have a Starting problem when it's Colder outside on my Columbia riding mower with 17.5 B&S engine.

If i let the mower outside on the Sun for a couple of Time, it start perfectly but when it's cold outside it won't start unless i spray some carb cleaner in the air intake

When It's started the mower run fine until i shut it down and if i try to start it after, it Will start without problem.

Things that i've change
-new battery
-new fuel in the fuel tank
-new Spark plug
-the oil has Been changed with 10w30

I've checked the Choke plate and it close fine

The engine is cranking really faster when i shoot carb cleaner and it start right after

I don't know where to start looking, maybe valve adjustment?
Are you sure the choke plate is totally closed and moves correctly. Maybe try blocking it manually to see if it helps. If the weather is really cold the oil grade could possibly be contributing to the problem.

If its definately not the choke I'd guess its running too lean to start when cold. Check the carb

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the choke is completely closing it could be definitely a cold weather starting issue. I have had engines come in that would start perfectly at 70, would have extended crank times at 50 and at 30 you are better off just pushing it into the corner of the shop until spring.

losroberto

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Choke plate move well but i did not try to block it see if it help, i'll try to clean the carb and adjust the valve this weekend

It's not that cold outside around 50 and it don't want to start

losroberto

Forum Newbie
Threads
A Little update, yesterday i was cleaning the carburator and Found out that the fuel solenoid was burning hot, i did'nt touch the riding mower for 2 Days
Seems that the solenoid is draining the battery slowly and misfuctioning correctly

I don't know if it can Be realated with my issue?

Ocean909

Threads
A Little update, yesterday i was cleaning the carburator and Found out that the fuel solenoid was burning hot, i did'nt touch the riding mower for 2 Days
Seems that the solenoid is draining the battery slowly and misfuctioning correctly

I don't know if it can Be realated with my issue?
So if the fuel solenoid is faulty it could definitely be contributing to the problem. It could be stuck open, closed or somewhere in between. When mine went bad, I cut the tip off with some strong cutters and reinstalled without it connected. If you use anything besides cutters to remove the tip, make sure its clean before reinstall. You don't want any debris clogging up your main jet. Also make sure you look out for the washer the goes between the solenoid and bowl. Lastly if you remove the solenoid, you may lose backfire prevention. So before turning off your tractor, throttle down for 30 seconds or so before shutting off so the neighbors don't complain. :)

boatmoter

Threads
my John deere won't start when the engine is cold not even in the summer unless the choke on the carb is fully closed