Clumpy Grass

bmfbonfire

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got some grass that clumps up pretty bad in my backyard. It stalls out my Toro push mower and im continuing cleaning it out. It would be too much to resod my backyard at this point. Seriously considering it for future. Just curious what I can do to help in meantime. New blade? Or upgrade to new and better mower? Other suggestions?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you mulching or just discharging the grass? Raising the cutting height seems to reduce the clogging, and be sure the grass is completely dry.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it's stalling your mower you're trying to take off too much or going too fast. Also wondering if you're mulching or discharging. Keep the blade sharp regardless.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please pos the model and serial numbers for the mower. If it is a model with the Briggs engine, you may have a unit which needs the carb adjusted.

bmfbonfire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please pos the model and serial numbers for the mower. If it is a model with the Briggs engine, you may have a unit which needs the carb adjusted.
I dont have serial # on me, but can get that later. It is a Toro Recycler that is about 9 years old.

bmfbonfire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you mulching or just discharging the grass? Raising the cutting height seems to reduce the clogging, and be sure the grass is completely dry.
Im discharging the grass. The grass grows really fast in summer. I try mowing once a week since it grows so fast. I do not mow when it just rained or sprinklers were recent. No matter what I do, it seems to clog pretty good in the discharge opening.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably has a mulching blade on it. Swap it out for the high lift blade if so.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a Recycler with the little black plastic door on the side you will probably never be happy with it. The mower deck is designed to be a mulcher. Which it does pretty well. They add the little side discharge as a selling point but it can't handle more than about a half inch or so of grass before it clumps and clogs. If you are going to side discharge you really need a mower with a deck designed to side discharge or mow wvery couple of days. Mulching mowers don't do well in tallish grass like a good side discharge one can. Like was said, if you can get a high lift blade it will help.