Clean Those Engines If They're Running HOT/ By Hand & Not With Water!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Clean Those Engines If They're Running HOT/ By Hand & Not With Water!
Remove Blower Housing, top of engine & screen, & remove dirt & crud from cooling fins on each cylinder by hand using a piece of coat hanger wire etc. & I prefer using a Shop Vac instead of a blower nozzle spreading debris around engine. Harbor Freight has a pack of tools able to get into tight spots. You can also check your engine coil to flywheel air gap after cleaning is done. You will be truly amazed at the amount of dirt & debris on engine & how much better, cooler, your engine will run. Let us have some feedback on this one please, thanks, Mark

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Clean clean clean!
i keep mine clean enough to eat off of, wire brush works good and pick set for all the grime...
I've though about keeping a cat under the blower housing to keep mice and rats away..... :unsure:

4getgto

Threads
I know I'll get my butt kicked but I use compressed air and a pressure washer...

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I know I'll get my butt kicked but I use compressed air and a pressure washer...
TartFirsthandCockroach-max-1mb.gif

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not from me...As I use an engine cleaning wand with Purple Power and compressed air. Plus if if is extremely dirty a 1800 psi pressure washer get used. Matter of fact I just cleaned an engine and mower body of all the oil and debris caused a customer runninga mower a long time with a leaking PTO oil seal. It took it just to get clean enough to find the oil leaks with UV dye. Just got to know what you are doing and not to over do it. High power pressure washers (3000 psi+) can do damage.

No way I going to get things clean using dental picks but you should never using anything on a hot engine, wait until it cools to normal standby temps.

4getgto

Threads
Not from me...As I use an engine cleaning wand with Purple Power and compressed air. Plus if if is extremely dirty a 1800 psi pressure washer get used. Matter of fact I just cleaned an engine and mower body of all the oil and debris caused a customer runninga mower a long time with a leaking PTO oil seal. It took it just to get clean enough to find the oil leaks with UV dye. Just got to know what you are doing and not to over do it. High power pressure washers (3000 psi+) can do damage.

No way I going to get things clean using dental picks but you should never using anything on a hot engine, wait until it cools to normal standby temps.
Yea that's the way I've always done it.
And if I ever took my mower to a shop and seen them cleaning it with dental pick before they worked on it......Well need I say more....

images (3).jpeg