Choosing the best variety of grass

touree

Threads
It appears the first step to having a lawn is choosing what variety of grass to grow. How much effort and money you plan to use in the near and far future are other factors to consider. Ultimately, one's particular location will also be critical.

Which makes me beg the question, is a mix of varieties such a bad idea after all?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It appears the first step to having a lawn is choosing what variety of grass to grow. How much effort and money you plan to use in the near and far future are other factors to consider. Ultimately, one's particular location will also be critical.

Which makes me beg the question, is a mix of varieties such a bad idea after all?
It's probably going to wind up that way after it's all said and done. If you have neighbors with mixed grass you'll soon have it.
I would think there is 2-3 types that are prefered for your area and conditions, ask around and you'll find what works best, no need to speculate. There are hybrid grasses created all the time, check with your local university and see if the agricultural department has any they are working on.
Remember that some of those have to be planted as plugs or sod and if they go to seed and the seeds germinate you have a different type of grass. Now you are back to a variety.