Buying Advice Cheetah 61"- Kawasaki (27hp)850fx vs (31hp)921fx

steelerdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
After a lot of research, I've decided to purchase a Cheetah w/61" deck for our farm. Just tired of the hours spent pulling a finish mower behind my Ford 3910. I'm debating between the Kawasaki 850fx and the 921fx. I can actually get a better deal on the 921fx, but one dealer told me I'd regret it because of the fuel usage. He said it's terrible. He added that the 850fx has plenty of power. Most of the mowing will be on fairly flat ground, but we do have a couple of good size hills. I'm really interested in any opinions you pros could offer. Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There have been some problems with several Kawasaki larger engines. Do a search for reviews on both engines to find any comments which may help you decide on which engine is generally better.
Also do a search for reviews on the Cheetah. There are some comments here on this forum, check them out. I suggest that you consider a Tiger Cat, but demo the machines and decide. The Kawasaki FX730V engine on the Tiger Cat is a long term proven engine along with the Tiger Cat itself.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

kwak

Threads
I am with Mad Mackie on this I mow 4-5 acres with my Tiger Cat 61" with the Kaw FX730 and I am very pleased with it so far. The FX730 has plenty of power for the 61" deck and I find that I am using 3-4 gallons of fuel per mow. I would highly recommend the suspension seat if you decide to go with the Tiger Cat. I am sure the Cheetah serves its purpose but I think the Tiger Cat would work well for your application and save you a couple thousand $.

steelerdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice. I talked with a service manager today at a local dealership, and he owns a Tiger Cat with the 730fx. He agreed that it's a great machine with a proven engine. Do either of you folks know how many gallons per hour that engine burns. I've not been able to find any info on that. He thought his was about 2 gph. That sounded a little high to me for that engine. Although I have heard that the 921fx uses that much. I've got a chance to get a Cheetah with the 921fx for around $1600 more than the Tiger Cat 730fx. From what I've seen that's a really good deal, but that's still a good chunk of change I could save if I opt for the Tiger Cat. I really appreciate your responses.

steelerdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kwak,
I see you did give me an idea on the fuel you burn. How long does it take you to mow the 4-5 acres?
Thanks

kwak

Threads
It takes me about 3 hours but that is because I have lots of obstacles and an extremely bumpy yard (old cow field). I have a 1000ft driveway with ditches on both sides, 2 garden spots, several trees and several hundred feet of fence to mow around so if I didnt have all of those it wouldn't take me near as long.

steelerdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kwak,
Your situation sounds very similar to ours. Fence lines, long driveway, etc. I don't know if you have any hills,but if so, how does it perform on them? Are there any situations you wish it had more power? Not trying to bombard you with questions, but it's a big purchase. I'll probably be happy with whichever I go with, but I do want to make the best decision.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll say that the Kawasaki FX730V uses 1.3-1.5 GPH. I'm an officer of a local cemetery and we have a 2012 Hustler X-ONE, 60" rear discharge deck with an FX730v engine. This machine has turned out to be a very economical machine to run, better than every other machine the cemetery has ever had. It takes 2 10 hour days to mow the cemetery.
The Hustler is a heavier and longer machine than the Scag Tiger Cat. If the Tiger Cat had been available with a rear discharge deck, we would have a Tiger Cat.
My personal machine is a Tiger Cub, the predecessor to the Tiger Cat. I've looked at the Tiger Cats and I like the upgrades that Scag has done on these machines. The Cheetah is a faster ground speed machine than the Tiger Cat, but you would need runway smooth and flat lawns to be able to use the increased speeds and still be able to remain seated and in control.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

kwak

Threads
Thanks Kwak,
Your situation sounds very similar to ours. Fence lines, long driveway, etc. I don't know if you have any hills,but if so, how does it perform on them? Are there any situations you wish it had more power? Not trying to bombard you with questions, but it's a big purchase. I'll probably be happy with whichever I go with, but I do want to make the best decision.

I do not mind the questions at all. My yard is mostly flat with only a few small hills but every situation I have been in it has felt very stable. I have never felt at all like the mower would benifit from more power the Kawi 730 I feel has plenty of power for the machine.