Repairs Charging ?

phoneman

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower came with the house I bought, Never had a riding mower before.

Its a Toro 460LX told by a Toro dealer it basically a MTD mower.......

Finally got it running pretty good, New belts ect, I have the shop manual.

The battery dosent charge, It only has the cable to the Starter and Ground coming

off the battery, Dont see how it could charge from the stator, looks like in the manual

that there should be a wire coming rectifier to the battery....Correct or Not.

Charles

Wish I had another LX460 to look at !!

phoneman

Forum Newbie
Threads
So.........I measured the A/C current coming out of stator, 20.50 volts ....Looks Good (At Rev)

Then.......I measured the DC coming out of rectifier at rev......12.87 volts ...Good

Then I measured voltage of Battery with mower not running........12.55 Volts....Good

Then measured Battery with mower rev to 3500 rpm...................12.87 volts...Good

So appartently.........its getting its charging voltage from the wire that goes to the
starter solenoid, theres really no other way.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First please post your engine model numbers, so we know what type of charging system you have. 12.8 volts with engine running is not enough. 20 Volts AC is definitely to low and I'm thinking bad stator.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So.........I measured the A/C current coming out of stator, 20.50 volts ....Looks Good (At Rev)

Then.......I measured the DC coming out of rectifier at rev......12.87 volts ...Good

Then I measured voltage of Battery with mower not running........12.55 Volts....Good

Then measured Battery with mower rev to 3500 rpm...................12.87 volts...Good

So appartently.........its getting its charging voltage from the wire that goes to the
starter solenoid, theres really no other way.

Your reading on battery with mover not running is ok at 12.55, but the reading when engine in running should be up at around 14.18v at 3000/3500rpm.
But please..NOTE: The voltage reads will vary from engine to engine.
System check, to identify the problem
The system check consists of:
Stator Check
Regulator Rectifier Check
Down stream Check