Charging System Problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL according to the wiring diagram for the Rato 670 the stator produces under 5 amps as it is fused at 5 amps. And battery is fused at 10 amps. So basically it is design mainly to recharge the battery and keep the fuel solenoid powered. Not much extra for anything else so it sounds like the OP is over taxing the system and the battery is having to provide the extra current that the alternator can't; otherwords, it cant keep up with the current draw and the battery starts draining. With the stator being fused at 5 amps I would say the stator is probably a 3 amp version.

I would be testing the amp draw to see if amp draw is too much. If it is then basically the only solution is either install a higher amp alternator, which I don't think is available for the Rato, or reduce the electrical loads.
That would explain the battery drain and the issue the OP is having. I suspect that cooling fan if it is what I think it is has a 80 watt rating.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hmmm if rated at 12V80W then that is pulling at least 6.67amps and it would be higher at around 7.5 amps @13.5V as resistance is the same just more voltage pushing amps.

This is one of things I don't like my household electrical system the service is at 135 vac so I am using more electricity than needed for 110-120 vac items and is wasted as heat. Otherwords my electric bill higher than it should be.

jmdls

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been thinking the same thing as well. However, all was working fine until just recently. I believe the cooling fan is what is affecting the load. When I run the the engine (full throttle) I have the 13.5 volts. When I turn on the cooling fan, voltage drops to about 11.8 volts. When I turn the fan switch off and turn on the headlights and dash panel lights, voltage returns to the 13.5 volts. I removed the cable from the positive battery terminal and engine continues to run, so it appears the voltage regulator is doing its job. When I run that cooling fan, it drops that battery voltage to 11.8 to 11.9 and keeps it there. When I shut down the engine, then not enough voltage to restart it appears. I'm thinking, I need to find another fan or one that doesn't have as much draw down on the system maybe. I have been looking around to see if I could find a stator replacement for more amps. This Rato engine looks identical in comparison to the HF Predator engine. Vegas Carts offers a stator and flywheel for the predator that can increase the amps with some modification. If this engine is identical to the Predator, I have read some threads where people are using Honda parts as a replacement as well. I would like for it to just work as it did before. Thanks all

jmdls

Forum Newbie
Threads
I still wonder about that voltage regulator working correctly though, for when I turn on the cooling fan and the voltage drops to 11.8 volts and I shut it off, the voltage appears to remain around the 11.8 to 12 volt range, but when I turn on the lights, my voltage goes back up to the 13 to 13.5 volts range. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.