charging/starting troubles

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Hi gang.

Been mowing along with no troubles so far this season... however the last couple of times I noticed the battery light coming on & staying on. The battery was just replaced mid-summer last year, so I doubt that it has gone south already. When I climbed on tonight to mow, it wouldn't start. It turns over but I am getting a clicking noise from the starter (I think) at the same time, and it won't crank quickly enough to catch and run. I unhooked the 'Hopper battery and went directly off my Jeep battery - same results. :-(

Before I pull the deck and haul it to the dealer for a pricey service call does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what may be happening? BTW, I don't have a meter or other diagnostic doo-dads to check the electrical/charging system. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

TIA
-JN

JUST4FUN

Threads
ether the voltage regulater or the altinator is bad you could check to see if the fuse is stll good

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
20amp in-line fuse is fine. Thought it rather weird that an almost brand new battery would have a full charge yet it would hardly crank and there would be a simultaneous clicking noise from a relay or whatever.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before installing a new battery, have the mechanic check the charging system. Clicking sound is the solenoid trying to engage, but is just does not have enough juice. You can try two things to get it started. One jump your jeep battery directly to the starter with the key in the run position. It should start. Second, charge the battery and then take a large screwdriver and cross the two large terminals on the solenoid, with the key in the run position. If it starts you may have either bad connections on the solenoid or a bad solenoid. If your battery is not rated at least 325 CCA, it is a cheapo and normally they don't last 2 years.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
UPDATE: I think the jumper cables I used jumping off my Cherokee must have been either pretty rusty/corroded or just not getting good connection, because I went to Menard's this afternoon and picked up a Peak battery charger with an engine start option (smallest unit they offered, as it lists suitable for motorcycles, boats and small cars - didn't want to fry my mower). I hooked it up and the Hopper started; cranked slowly, but she did start.

Even with the "new last year" battery fully charged I get the relay clicking noise when I try to crank it over. I did not know about the 325CCA limit. The previous owner simply said he bought the biggest/most powerful battery that could fit in the Hopper's battery box. I never checked to verify that it was the proper size for what this mower is rated for. I know diesels pull more due to the glow plug and such; (I had 2 huge DieHard Gold batts in my old F-250HD diesel just to get it to turn over. LOL). I will check out the Hopper battery's specs when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for the info, Rivets!

JUST4FUN

Threads
i would clean all connections and check to see if its putting out 14 volts when running.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The small cheap batteries will not last very long and can cause charging problems.

173abn

Threads
make sure your positive connect from the batt. is'nt touching your frame,this happened to me before I figgured out why my bat kept discharging...russ

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
UPDATE #2... The battery is rated for 525CCA, so power to start should NOT be a problem. LOL. With the battery fully charged, as soon as it's running the battery light comes on, indicating that it isn't getting juice. So I am guessing either alternator or voltage regulator, but I lean towards the regulator, since the Hoppper's battery can't get enough juice to the starter to crank worth a poop when hooked up even with a full charge. Thoughts???

I was able to jump it no problem with either my John Deere GT235 or my Jeep. Turned out my jumper calbes were just corroded, so after a little filing they worked fine. I don't have a meter to check running volts, so I may have to take it in and have the shop diagnose and replace defective part(s).

JUST4FUN

Threads
Iwould invest in a volt meter and check it myself should be 14 volts