Export thread

Charging issue

B

btreadway2003

Hustler Super Z model 927053
28HP EFI Kohler

Picked this mower up recently.

Rectifier is putting out 15.4 volts directly to the battery. This is the way it was wired when I purchased it used

New battery

I can put a meter on the battery while at full throttle and watch it slowly drop in volts. I have tested the wire connected to the battery and it is putting out 15.4 volts when not connected to the battery. Does this wire need to run through something else to actually charge the battery? If I test at the rectifier I am getting 15.4 volts as well. Not sure why this battery isn't charging. Any help would be appreciated.

StarTech

StarTech

Possible blown 10A fuse. Just depends on how you are the testing the small wire going to battery. Are your checking it disconnected at the battery terminal? If you do this and there is voltage at the battery. The 10A fuse for the battery is the one with two solid red wires according to the service manual. There is another 10A fuse and a 30A fuse.

R

Rivets

StarTech

StarTech

R

Rivets

Ok

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Hustler Super Z model 927053
28HP EFI Kohler

Picked this mower up recently.

Rectifier is putting out 15.4 volts directly to the battery. This is the way it was wired when I purchased it used

New battery

I can put a meter on the battery while at full throttle and watch it slowly drop in volts. I have tested the wire connected to the battery and it is putting out 15.4 volts when not connected to the battery. Does this wire need to run through something else to actually charge the battery? If I test at the rectifier I am getting 15.4 volts as well. Not sure why this battery isn't charging. Any help would be appreciated.
With everything hooked up what is the voltage measured at the battery with engine running?

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

With everything hooked up what is the voltage measured at the battery with engine running?
Charging correctly, measured at battery 12 volts DC=13.5-14.5 (approximately).

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The charging system is working OK

StarTech

StarTech

Is this mower only discharging the battery while mowing? If so I would suspect a partially shorted electrical PTO clutch.

Also batteries can self discharge while sitting unused when defective.

B

butchc14

You have to check and see if its putting out amps if its not putting out the amperage it will not charge the battery but can still show the correct voltage.being in the repair business 30 plus years have seen this many times.

M

mechanic mark

See Charging System page 102 & following in Engine Manual.

E

elmrfudd

I had an experience once where i was getting 14.5 volts out of the voltage regulator, but the battery was discharging during mowing, with only about 10.5 volts, until the battery would no longer run the electric clutch. So I traced the wire coming off the regulator and found the ignition switch was in-line on the way back to the battery. I pulled the ignition switch and found one of the terminals was loose. I replaced the ignition switch with a new one, and it charged perfectly and never had a problem afterwards. Faulty connection inside the ignition switch restricted proper voltage from getting back to the battery.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I had an experience once where i was getting 14.5 volts out of the voltage regulator, but the battery was discharging during mowing, with only about 10.5 volts, until the battery would no longer run the electric clutch. So I traced the wire coming off the regulator and found the ignition switch was in-line on the way back to the battery. I pulled the ignition switch and found one of the terminals was loose. I replaced the ignition switch with a new one, and it charged perfectly and never had a problem afterwards. Faulty connection inside the ignition switch restricted proper voltage from getting back to the battery.
Thanks for posting and sharing.....excellent advice. (y)

M

mechanic mark

Battery is for cranking only, alternator should keep battery charged up.