Charging issue

btreadway2003

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hustler Super Z model 927053
28HP EFI Kohler

Picked this mower up recently.

Rectifier is putting out 15.4 volts directly to the battery. This is the way it was wired when I purchased it used

New battery

I can put a meter on the battery while at full throttle and watch it slowly drop in volts. I have tested the wire connected to the battery and it is putting out 15.4 volts when not connected to the battery. Does this wire need to run through something else to actually charge the battery? If I test at the rectifier I am getting 15.4 volts as well. Not sure why this battery isn't charging. Any help would be appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Possible blown 10A fuse. Just depends on how you are the testing the small wire going to battery. Are your checking it disconnected at the battery terminal? If you do this and there is voltage at the battery. The 10A fuse for the battery is the one with two solid red wires according to the service manual. There is another 10A fuse and a 30A fuse.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hustler Super Z model 927053
28HP EFI Kohler

Picked this mower up recently.

Rectifier is putting out 15.4 volts directly to the battery. This is the way it was wired when I purchased it used

New battery

I can put a meter on the battery while at full throttle and watch it slowly drop in volts. I have tested the wire connected to the battery and it is putting out 15.4 volts when not connected to the battery. Does this wire need to run through something else to actually charge the battery? If I test at the rectifier I am getting 15.4 volts as well. Not sure why this battery isn't charging. Any help would be appreciated.
With everything hooked up what is the voltage measured at the battery with engine running?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is this mower only discharging the battery while mowing? If so I would suspect a partially shorted electrical PTO clutch.

Also batteries can self discharge while sitting unused when defective.