Changed my mind again

stygz

Threads
I was set to buy a new Honda HRX but after talking to a dealer that sells both I have decided to go with a Toro Super Recycler. Mostly due to personal pace vs smart drive. I was discussing the Toro motor vs the Honda motor also. It really has me stuck. Do I go with the proven (Honda) or do I go with the one speced with iron sleeve, rod bearings not bushings (toro)? The Toro seems to be speced the same as honda's 160cc commercial motor. The guy said the Toro engine has been in service for about 5 years but just made production on U.S. mowers last year. I have concerns about parts. At this time I can easily pick up an airfilter for a honda motor at home depot. I cannot do the same with the Toro engine...so I thought. The guy told me the Briggs, Honda, Toro engine airfilters are the same dimensions. Anyone notice this, is it true? I do figure that Home depot may have those simple things possibly next year as long as they get toro mowers with the toro engine. All else fails I can just order one from toro. Spark plugs shouldnt be an issue. Consumer reports rated the the 20381 (toro engine) the same as the 20382 (Honda engine). The price difference is only about $40 more for the honda motor.

Thoughts?

LeonardVinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was set to buy a new Honda HRX but after talking to a dealer that sells both I have decided to go with a Toro Super Recycler. Mostly due to personal pace vs smart drive. I was discussing the Toro motor vs the Honda motor also. It really has me stuck. Do I go with the proven (Honda) or do I go with the one speced with iron sleeve, rod bearings not bushings (toro)? The Toro seems to be speced the same as honda's 160cc commercial motor. The guy said the Toro engine has been in service for about 5 years but just made production on U.S. mowers last year. I have concerns about parts. At this time I can easily pick up an airfilter for a honda motor at home depot. I cannot do the same with the Toro engine...so I thought. The guy told me the Briggs, Honda, Toro engine airfilters are the same dimensions. Anyone notice this, is it true? I do figure that Home depot may have those simple things possibly next year as long as they get toro mowers with the toro engine. All else fails I can just order one from toro. Spark plugs shouldnt be an issue. Consumer reports rated the the 20381 (toro engine) the same as the 20382 (Honda engine). The price difference is only about $40 more for the honda motor.

Thoughts?

Splurge on Honda's HRC instead and get both (the specs & proven track record you want)?

stygz

Threads
Cant spend that much on a mower. I think they are around $1200!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the Toro. You can inter change the filters.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cant spend that much on a mower. I think they are around $1200!

HRX217VKA

• Self-propelled, variable speed Smart Drive
  • 4-in-1 ready Versamow System with Clip Director - mulch, bag, discharge, leaf shred
  • MicroCut Twin Blades
  • Worry free lifetime limited warranty NeXiteョ deck
  • Easy starting 190cc engine with Auto Choke System
  • 5 year mower warranty

MSRP $699*

stygz

Threads

HRX217VKA

• 4-in-1 ready Versamow System with Clip Director - mulch, bag, discharge, leaf shred
  • MicroCut Twin Blades
  • Worry free lifetime limited warranty NeXite?ョ deck
  • 5 year mower warranty

MSRP $699*

Thats the HRX I have been looking at.

The HRC is the commercial and retails for $1249!

HRC216HXA

MSRP
$1249*
21" commercial rear bagger/mulcher
Self-propelled, hydrostatic, commercial grade transmission
Shaft drive (no belts)
Easy to start commercial 160cc Honda engine
Roto-Stopョ blade stop system
MicroCut Twin Blades - better cutting performance
Rugged, durable steel deck with front bumper and edge guards

earthworm

Threads
IMO, its 5.9 of one -- 0.45 dozen of the other..
BUT, one thing , the deck.
I'm having a devil of a time with the LB steel deck....during mulching on my so-called lawn (actually a swamp in places), Honda's plastic deck may be much better....
Where I am, it rains and rains - the grass never completely dries....
But, still, or otherwise, I'd stick with Toro....the 30" Toro...
Actually, my "dream" mower would be 30" with swivel front wheels (Ariens).

expfcwintergreen

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thoughts?

HRX217VKA

• MicroCut Twin Blades
  • Worry free lifetime limited warranty NeXiteョ deck
  • 5 year mower warranty

MSRP $699*

------------

I bought the Honda HXR217VKA about 6 weeks ago for a yard I have been cutting for over forty years, and the yard has never looked better. The Honda starts on the first pull, doesn't bog down in heavy grass, and vacumes up all the clippings. I have been used to cheap riding mowers but decided to buy the Honda because there is a dealer close by who stocks the parts and does the service. After I get my riders fixed, I will probably continue to cut the front yard (about an acre) with the Honda because it looks so good. I was expecting to be worn out out after cutting for a couple of hours, but the Honda is really as much of a pleasure to use as any walk behind mower can be. I haven't used the Toro, but controlling the speed of the Honda with my thumbs has become second nature, something I don't even think about anymore. I like the Honda so well that if I have to leave it at the dealer for service during mowing season, I am going to buy another one so my grass won't get out of hand, I was a little shocked at spending $650 for a mower I had to walk behind, but it has been well worth it. The Honda has even got me thinking of starting a small lawn cutting business after I retire. I wouldn't have dreamed of it before because I have never had such a reliable mower before that does such a beautiful job.

And no, I don't work for Honda.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Briggs filter fits both Honda and Toro. Parts a readily available for both units.

earthworm

Threads
The Briggs filter fits both Honda and Toro. Parts a readily available for both units.
So, which is better, Mercedes or BMW....Honda or Toro ?
A good nearby dealer can make all the difference....
Yet, 6 years ago, when I tried a Honda (HomeDepot), it fell flat on its face....defective bagging system.
So I returned it and bought the 10685 LawnBoy:thumbsup::thumbsup:..
The Honda did have a great engine,IMO.