Chainsaw won't fire

sofasurfer

Threads
My McCulloch 130 (circa 1990) chainsaw was running fine and then just stopped. Now to will not fire at all. It used to start after one pull chocked and then one pull not chocked. Any idea where to start looking?

bogdaN

Threads
Start checking if have good spark,second thing to check fuel line is that attached to fuel filter.That would be in the fuel tank.

sofasurfer

Threads
Pulled plug and I see spark at plug. Not a real impressive spark but I don't know what a tiny engine spark should look like. Plug is gapped at .025. Put a little gas in cylinder and still will not fire.
If it has spark and there is gas in cylinder, isn't it impossible to not fire?

bogdaN

Threads
Do you have compression tester to check comp.If not put few drops of oil 30W in cylinder and now spray some carb.cleaner in to carburetor.That should pup.let us know.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's possible to put in too much gas. Try a new spark plug.

sofasurfer

Threads
Can a spark plug fire but have a weak spark because of a bad, weak or old plug?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just because a plug fires when laid against the engine doesn't mean it is good. Eliminate things. Like was said , try a new plug and see what happens.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is best to try a know good plug as even new plugs can be bad.

sofasurfer

Threads
Well, I went out to look at it this morning. Decided to try to start it again before I went to get a new plug. What the heck? It started after a couple of pulls. I have no idea what was wrong. I don't understand how it could have been flooded since I pulled and pulled and pulled yesterday. Hmmmm, oh well.
Thanks all. Now I have to start a new thread for another question.