Chainsaw leaking chain oil

blaubner

Forum Newbie
Threads
So here's what I think is happening. Please let me know what you think.

At first I did not understand that it's okay and common for chain oil to leak from the bottom of the machine. Once I noticed that it was coming from the chain oil adjustment screw, I started messing with it without knowing what I was doing. At first I thought the chain oil max/min diagram (attached) was for reading the level of chain oil in the machine. I now understand that it is telling the user, screw to the left and get more chain oil, screw to the right and get less, you big dummy. I tightened the screw thinking that would stop the flow of chain oil leaking from the machine, when in fact all I did was stop the flow of chain oil to the chain/bar. As cpurvis mentioned before, if this machine is an automatic oiler that operates on pressure, and I have closed the amount of oil released on the bar, the pressure is causing more oil to leak from the machine. I need to open the adjustment screw to release the oil onto the bar/chain, and not out the bottom of the machine.

. Capture.PNG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I thought it look more like MTD. I lookup the IPL and Searspartsdirect is only offering a short block to replace the oil pump. What they we are too dumb replace the pump? Things like is only getting worse. So Glad I can semi retire in 5 yrs and no longer put up this bull.