Chain Sharpening

AndyMan

Threads
Does anyone out there sharpen their own chain saw chains? I have always taken mine to the shop. I saw a do-it-yourself sharpening kit at the store and wondered whether it would work, or if it would just be a hassle.

grnspot110

Threads
Does anyone out there sharpen their own chain saw chains? I have always taken mine to the shop. I saw a do-it-yourself sharpening kit at the store and wondered whether it would work, or if it would just be a hassle.

It depends on how much you use the saw! For me, I've only had two chains ground at a shop in 30+ years. These were chains I'd used "grubbing" a stump, very hard on chains & bars. Under ordinary use, I file my chains "free-hand" nearly every fuel fill. It varies with what I'm cutting! It takes practice to get the right "technique". If you don't use a saw as much, custom grinding is probably your best bet. ~~ grnspot110

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a special attachment (a guide and sharpening stone) for a Dremel Moto Tool. It takes a little practice -- at first I tended to over-grind, wearing out the chains. Once you get the hang of it, it's a great way to do a very good job quickly.

If you already have the Dremel Tool, it's almost a no-brainer.

Mean Machine

Threads
I have three chains that I get shop sharpened at the beginning of the season, then I do touch-ups with the little tool for hand sharpening.

Green Girl

Threads
We have done a lot of business with our local lawn and garden shop. As a thank you they sharpen our saw chains for free. Everytime we take the chains in, we purchase a little something.

173abn

Threads
when I bought my Sthil I also bought the elec. shapner for it.You hook it to a 12v bat.,it uses a stone and has the correct angle.works pretty good. russ