Chain case gasket

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ha! I can tell you they 9 (cork gaskets) leak like crazy on old land rovers. I'll try soaking sometime, if I ever use one again, that's interesting.

You said old so I bet they gave a good service life before leaking. At least RTV silicone hasn't came up to use OMG. LOL (n)

slomo

timc1018

Threads
not sure what you consider service life but they leak after a year or two. The “Right Stuff” no leakss. I quit using cork gaskets 20 years ago. Been using Right Stuff or Black RTV for the last 20 years in place of cork (on old English cars)

If the surfaces are machined, I use thin paper and/or Loctite 5xx depending on application and machining quality.

I have no experience using anything on lawn mower engines, so I really should not of replied and gone off track....sorry.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
not sure what you consider service life but they leak after a year or two. The “Right Stuff” no leakss. I quit using cork gaskets 20 years ago. Been using Right Stuff or Black RTV for the last 20 years in place of cork (on old English cars)

If the surfaces are machined, I use thin paper and/or Loctite 5xx depending on application and machining quality.

I have no experience using anything on lawn mower engines, so I really should not of replied and gone off track....sorry.
Hey, glad to hear another opinion. On mowers, I've learned to stick to OEM say Snapper parts for example. Snapper engineers were/are brilliant and know what type gaskets to use. Can't go wrong with real Snapper stuff.

Now in the automotive world, everyone is using RTV silicone of some flavor. Now they make so many different formulas like rear diff fluid RTV. We didn't know that the high pressure agents in the oil (sulfur) add pack eat regular silicone and leak. Another dislike for me, I don't prefer any quick drying or curing glue or silicone. They never have the strength like JB Weld for example. The slow version has more PSI strength. Any-hoo thanks for the comments Timc1018.
Oh and everyone gunking RTV on every gasket surface causing chunks of RTV getting where it doesn't belong. BTW normal RTV silicone needs oxygen to cure. So machined flanges doused in RTV might not cure and seal. Reason why they make anaerobic sealants.

slomo