Export thread

Carrier plate seized to drive shaft

T

trooper1954

Hi Guys,
Have a real problem here. Included in the photos is the drive shaft and carrier plate from a stihl wheeled trimmer. The machine hasn't been used for some time, and the bearing inside the carrier plate has seized. I've tried just about everything I can think of to break it free.....soaked 48 hours in Move it, heat with a torch, and also a puller.d as you can see in one of the photos, while using the puller it slipped off and damaged the head of the jack shaft. There's enough thread left that I hope I can still use it, but I need to get the carrier plate off in order to replace the bearing. The cost of a new jack shaft and carrier plate is almost half the cost of the machine. so I'm not feeling real fuzzy about that one:rolleyes:
If anyone has any suggestions that I haven't tried I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks.PHOTO 2.jpgPHOTO 3.jpgPHOTO 1.jpg

sgkent

sgkent

is this the bearing you are trying to remove?

PHOTO 1.jpg

T

trooper1954

sgkent....no...there is a second bearing below that right in the centre of the carrier plate...thats the one thats seized, and i also think the plate itself ( which is supposed to move up and down on the jack shaft to adjust the hight) is also seized.

B

bertsmobile1

degrease then dump in a bucket of vinegar ( if there is no alloy bits ) for a couple of days

T

trooper1954

bertsmobile...thx.....just dropped it in the bucket. Will let you know.

sgkent

sgkent

did you pull the top bearing off? Is the second bearing above or below the pop rivets?

T

trooper1954

sgkent....right on the jack shaft exactly where the rivets are but in the centre. No.....have not pulled the top bearing, but have two new bearings ready to go.

StarTech

StarTech

Need to model number but if this is like the Husqvarna HWT Trimmers then there is no bearing, just lots of rust.

Beside the carrier plate is already damage so replace it and the shaft.

T

trooper1954

StarTech.....definitely a second bearing in the centre of the carrier plate...I've had it apart before.

StarTech

StarTech

StarTech.....definitely a second bearing in the centre of the carrier plate...I've had it apart before.
Might be bushing but the double "D" shaft shouldn't be using a ball bearing that area. No reason for hub to spin on the shaft.

T

trooper1954

Sorry...that diagrams too small....#27

Screenshot 2023-06-03 144229.png

StarTech

StarTech

Definitely a Husqvarna style setup.

Two Item #27 are in the spindle and the other #27 is not in the carrier but is in the Mow Ball. Item #36 is adapter disc that can seize on the shaft and in the mow ball bearing thus you can't remove the carrier. And here a photo of the bushing in the carrier. Also this bushing can seize to the spindle shaft.
1685831314740.png

Also one side note here make the bearings in the spindle are tight on the spindle shaft or they will slip and wear a groove into the shaft. Husqvarna may have redesign since I had to have the shafts knurled but may not have.

T

trooper1954

Thx StarTech for the advice.....remains to be seen if after the vinegar soak anything moves....cant do anything till it comes apart.:)

T

trooper1954

So.....after soaking in vinegar for a month, I'm still not able to move the carrier plate on the jack shaft.
anyone have any other suggestions apart from replacing both?
Thanks.

sgkent

sgkent

post some photos of how far apart you have gotten it and what you are dealing with. Hard to make a suggestion without being able to see it as it is.

T

trooper1954

Thx sgkent...here they are. As you can see, the puller I used to try and move the carrier plate slipped and damaged the end of the jack shaft, but the last 1/4" of that thread was not needed so that can be cut.....at least I could possibly reuse the shaft. That just leaves the carrier plate...it has movement in it, but will not come off the shaft bottom as it should. You can see the worst area of rust, and thats after a month in vinegar.

Attachments