Export thread

carburetor studs size.

H

hotrod351

i have a 10 hp briggs and stratton and need to know what size the carb, studs are, they look like torx head.

Attachments

EngineMan

EngineMan

Better to post up model and type numbers.

Fish

Fish

You'll have to get them from Briggs, or aftermarket, no one else will make a bolt even close to that.

H

hotrod351

i need the socket size for them. its a 10hp model 204412 type 0147E1

M

Mad Mackie

A # 5 Torx socket fits the Briggs carb studs. This size is not normally found in Torx socket sets. You can also use two 1/4X20 hex nuts tightened together with two 7/16" box wrenches to remove and reinstall the carb studs.
I bought a few #5 Torx sockets on Amazon that were reasonably priced.
Mad Mackie in CT

EngineMan

EngineMan

Not with you when you ask about stud, then go on about socket size, are you trying to remove them, you can do this with a set of mole grips, or do you need the nut size, the stud part number is 694869 and like the post above mentioned from B&S dealers, but they do come up on E-bay from time to time.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Most auto parts stores sell the Torx sockets. That is where I bought my Torx socket set

M

Mad Mackie

Many newer Briggs engines use the carb mounting bolt/stud that the OP put as an attachment. On the tip of this bolt/stud is a male Torx T25 tip that needs to have a female Torx socket put on it to remove the bolts/studs that hold the carb in place. This socket is an E-5 Torx socket.
The usual configuration is that nuts are last installed to hold the air filter assembly in place after the bolts/studs have been tightened with the E-5 Torx socket. The shoulder on the bolts/studs is what tightens down the carb.
When I get Briggs engines in for service I usually find the tip of these blots/studs damaged or the threads tore up from Vise Grips having been used to remove them. Fortunately several local power equipment dealers stock all of these bolts/studs so I can get them easily when needed.
An E-6 Torx socket is usually the smallest found in sets and using an E-6 socket will tear up the tip of the bolt/stud as it is too big. The E-5 Torx sockets that I have are 1/4" drive.
Mad Mackie in CT

H

hotrod351

thanks. waiting for a mag and for some reason i had to loosen the carb to get the flywheel shroud off, no biggy. cant wait to get the mag and get it running.