Export thread

carburetor problems

C

carl30401

i have a v twin on my riding lawnmower the carburetor is loping i put new gaskets in it and it still does it what now

reynoldston

reynoldston

I don't know what you have but as a rule when a small engine is loping or not running even its in the low speed circuit of the carburetor. adjustment or something is plugged. These small carburetors have some small holes in them so take a small tag wire and make sure they are all open. Seeing I don't know what you have I don't know if your carburetor is adjustable or not but if it is start there.

C

carl30401

the carburetor is not adjustible i cleaned the carburetor out and cleaned the holes out that you were talking about but it still lopes

reynoldston

reynoldston

some of these small carburetors have soft plugs in them so make sure you remove them and clean under them. Also are sure you have no vacuum leaks. What I have done in the pass is sandpaper the carburetor flange on a flat surface to make sure it isn't warped. Is your throttle linkage all hooked up right? As for myself I have taken a carburetor apart more then once because I missed something. It sound like a fuel or carburetor problim?

C

carl30401

i have cleaned everything 3 times but it don't seem to help it still lopes

Briana

Briana

Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile:

C

carl30401

so no one has a answer

C

chance123

so no one has a answer

When you say "it lopes", What exactly do you mean by the word "lopes"?

C

carl30401

the engine want idle it runs up and down im thinking it needs a new carburator

C

chance123

the engine want idle it runs up and down im thinking it needs a new carburator

It could possibly have an air leak between the carb and the engine. When it is running, spray some carb cleaner between the carb and the engine and see if the engine speed changes.

reynoldston

reynoldston

It could possibly have an air leak between the carb and the engine. When it is running, spray some carb cleaner between the carb and the engine and see if the engine speed changes.

I said the same thing check for vacuum leaks also a very loose intake valve guide can give you a vacuum leak. do you have your linkage hooked up right? A new carburetor is going to repair anything if you got other problems.

C

carl30401

i have checked for air leaks and have not found anything so far

C

carl30401

ok the engine will run good with the choke pulled out part way. i just replaced the spark plugs so im asuming with the choke part way and the engine runs fairly good im thinking the carburator is stopped up somewhere.

M

motoman

I'll just repeat the basics of auto carburetion... If there is an inlet valve make sure it is not clogged . It it's pointed look for damage like deep grooving. If a float is used and it's starving raise the float level by ?bending? a tang. If it takes an air cleaner run it. If the choke just restricts air intake sounds indeed starved (Plugs should not be black) If choke also opens blutterfly perhaps too much buttefly?

C

carl30401

ok i got the carburator off right now so i will check everything again