Carburetor flooding out

timbo59

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Craftsman pro has a Kohler 24hp motor on in it and still has less than 100 hours on it. This morning everything was fine as I went about mowing our lawn, but half-way through I ran out of gas. When I got back from the gas station I put in a gallon of fuel, but the engine wouldn't start - it would either just click, or do what sounded like a single cycle before stopping again. It can't be the battery, as I just put in a new one last time I mowed. I pumped the accelerator a few times, thinking that perhaps the engine running out of fuel had choked the line with air, but still nothing happened. Then I noticed that the small digital read out was telling me to clean the air filter - when I pulled it off it was soaked with gas, and the carb was like a swimming pool. On top of that, the small nozzle there periodically kept spitting out more gas - I think half the fuel I had just put in ended up on the driveway.

My first thought was that maybe I'd cracked the engine, but after reading around on the net I read that other people have had similar issues that revolved around the carburetor, not the engine. Is this an easy fix, or do I need to take the mower repair facility?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the float valve is stuck open due to debris or something else. Will need to remove clean and install a carb repair kit, and then replace the air filter and change the oil and oil filter because most likely there is now gas in the crankcase with the oil.

timbo59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Damn, and I only changed the oil and filter not that long ago. Is it something I could do - if I can find a video on Youtube or some instructions - or do I need a pro to do it?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
depending on which kohler engine you have you could probably DIY, MOST carbs Kohler used use a needle with a viton tip instead of a metal needle and replaceable seat. so it's just a matter of installing that new needle.(along with what comes in the kit if needed)
I'd also clean out or replace the fuel lines just in case they're deteriorating internally and that's could cause holding the needle open. and check for trash in the fuel tank.
Model and Spec number are on a tag like this.
1617053145875.png

Last edited:

timbo59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, if it helps here's the engine data.

Family HKHXS 7427GF
Model KT735 - Displ CC 725
Spec. No. KT735-3075
Build date 2017

Born2Mow

Threads
This trouble is usually caused by trash or rust introduced from the fuel tank. If you would fit a small fuel filter to the fuel line you could eliminate all future occurrences. Cost you about $4.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

timbo59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for all the help - I'll give it a whirl and post if I have any success. It was a very dusty mowing session up until I ran out of fuel - I've been sick the last few weeks and barely had the energy to move, let alone jump on the lawn mower, so a lot of leaves and pollen have fallen on the ground in the interim - it was one big sneezing session thanks to the pollen. So I guess it may well have contributed to the issues described.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Damn, and I only changed the oil and filter not that long ago. Is it something I could do - if I can find a video on Youtube or some instructions - or do I need a pro to do it?
It only holds like 1.5 quarts right? People with mowers act like they are filling a big rig Diesel oil sump up with 24 quarts. Change the oil if the dipstick smells like fuel.

slomo

timbo59

Forum Newbie
Threads
It only holds like 1.5 quarts right? People with mowers act like they are filling a big rig Diesel oil sump up with 24 quarts. Change the oil if the dipstick smells like fuel.

slomo
Get a grip. It was a humorous and passing reference to the tedium of having just done it in keeping with the maintenance schedule, not the quantity or cost.