Carb issues on a FE250D - BS05

dbsoccer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is on a Ryan LA-28 aerator. Runs fine at speed and idles ok. (I don't idle it very much.) Often times I want to aerate at a speed much slower than wide open. At the mid-range the engine surges - speeds up and slows down. And just lately, the engine has also, until it is totally warmed up, been completely dying. It will die and then start right up again. I figured both problems would be cured by a carb cleaning.

I've pulled the carburetor off the engine and started disassembly. The pilot jet appeared to be covered with dirt/crap/etc. The hole in this jet is quite small and I feel it was plugged. I managed to work a small piece of wire through it. I plan to continue with carb cleaner and compressed air to get thing cleaned out.

I doesn't appear there are many parts. I am wondering if replacing the needle and float as a routine is necessary? Pretty expensive part and not sure how it comes out yet. Also the idle adjustment screw has a turn limiter cap. Not sure if that can be pulled out so to open up areas where there might be dirt.

Thus far I see a need for two flat gaskets, an O-ring for the bowl and possibly a washer/gasket for the bolt holding the bowl to the body.

The aerator was first used in a small town near Cleveland. I live close to Denver and slightly over 5000 feet. I see there are jets for different altitudes. Any thoughts about changing jets.

Anything I'm missing? Any insight from those who have been into this carburetor would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Connect the fuel line to the carb .
Remove the float bowl
push th e float up with your finger
If the fuel stops flowing before the float tops out on the carb body it is fine .

dbsoccer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. Easy enough. Sort of like the old days with my Chevy 6-banger. So the seat is not a replaceable part. If it's bad you replace the body?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Float needle valve is rubber tip and they do ring and leak. And yes these are expensive in one sense. Just like Nikki needle valves are expensive. To view the tip to see if it is ringed you need a 10X loupe.
1684407001725.png
And the seat is bad then it is a new carburetor time.