can't get Kohler sv-715 to turn over

medic5677

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's always been a problem with this mower, getting it to turn over enough to start. After a few attempts though, it did it. Now, it just won't turn over, but hangs. I try to turn it with the spark plugs in, it will not turn easily at all. I take the plugs out, no problem. I adjusted the valve clearances yesterday. What happens is the wires will get hot if I keep trying to start it. Wondering if the next thing to replace is the starter, which may not have enough oomph? I did replace the starter solenoid. If you increase valve clearances, should that make it turn over easier? Any advice, greatly appreciated!

VegetiveSteam

Threads
This engine has no compression release, so valve clearance won't make a difference.
So basically, it comes up on compression and stops or does there seem to be something else binding? The starters on those engines were well known for having the shaft bend. When that happens the starter gear moves in and out of the flywheel ring gear and can sometimes bind. With the spark plugs out there is more inertia, so it usually won't hang up. That may be hard to see so before you take off the starter if you have a voltmeter do two quick tests. Put the black lead of the meter on the negative terminal of the battery if possible. If not make sure it's connected to a known good ground. Make sure the battery voltage is at least 12.5 dc volts. Now while cranking the engine and hopefully while the issue is present, touch the red meter lead to the starter post where the cable connects. Hope fully you read at least 10.5 dc volts. If that checks good take the red lead and touch it to bare aluminum of the starter mounting area. Crank the engine and see if you read any voltage. If you read any real voltage there then you have an issue with the ground side of that circuit. Loose or bad battery ground lead maybe. If everything checks good you more than likely need a new starter.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those engines turn over hard and like mentioned the shaft can get bend making the problem worse. Valve lash can cause a hard start problem. Since the delay in the time the valve opens the engine will build more compression. I have put the starter off a Command engine on some of these that are giving issues. You just have to make sure it has the same number of teeth on the drive. And do a little wiring as well. Not a big issue though.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The reason your cables are getting hot in a short period of time is that there must be a high resistance somewhere in the starting circuit. Before I start blaming components I would be checking the simple things, like connections first. It that doesn’t solve the problem then I would be looking at components. First thing I would do is to follow the ground cable from the battery to the chassis ground. Remove this connection and clean both until you get bare metal, then reattach. Second, do you have a three or four post solenoid? If it is a three post solenoid, the solenoid case is the ground. Again remove the solenoid and clean the case and metal where it is attached, making sure you get a good clean ground connection. If it is a four post solenoid, find the small wire that attaches to the chassis and clean as you did the battery cable. If after doing all this cleaning I would take a single jumper cable and go directing from battery positive to the starter, key in the off position. If the starter spins freely you can rule out bad starter. Then I would test the solenoid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a similar vain to Rivets I run a temporary ground jumper from the battery - to a good ground near the starter which on your engine would be the lifting tab or sump drain
If that makes no difference then try another jumper from the + terminal on the starter to the + on the battery
If the starter cranks normally when you do this you know that your battery cables require attention.

My aftermarket wholesalers both sell 9 tooth starters to replace the original 10 tooth ones which seems to have cured the bad starting on a couple of customers mowers

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have also replaced several these non solenoid shift starters because the top bushing going bad.