Can't Find My Lawn Tractors Info

sonora108

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman model 247.273300 T3000 build in 2018. My problem is I cannot seem to find info on this exact tractor. It's shift lever is on the left side fender- forward, neutral and reverse. The mower deck height adjustment and mower engagement levers on the right side fender. My problem is that the tranny is stuck in forward gear, no matter where I put the shift lever it only goes forward?? The Kohler engine and mower deck work fine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look down the left side of the frame and you should see the bottom of the shift lever. That lever should have a flat piece sticking out with a linkage that goes over to the front of the transmission, and connects to a rod that slides in and out of the transmission. If you move the shift lever does that rod move in and out of the transmission.

sonora108

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this what you mean? It does move in and out but it only moves one hole. Is there anyway to adjust the linkage at bottom of the shift lever?

Attachments

• IMG_20240708_123127 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240708_123127 (1).jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240708_135712.jpg
    IMG_20240708_135712.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 9

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
247 prefix is made by MTD.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this what you mean? It does move in and out but it only moves one hole. Is there anyway to adjust the linkage at bottom of the shift lever?
There is no adjustment. The shaft coming out of the transmission has 3 detent positions. Reverse is out, neutral in the middle and forward in. If the shaft is moving but not changing gears, usually means the weld has broke on the shift fork, so the fork moves the sliding collar into the forward position, but slides on the shaft when it is moved to neutral and reverse.

sonora108

Forum Newbie
Threads
I managed to mow my 1 acre in forward only. It only goes forward and the position of the shift lever makes no difference? Is the first photo the shift fork or is it internal to the tranny?

sonora108

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it necessary to drop the transmission to replace the shift lever? I don't have any manuals for this tractor except the Owner's Manual. Thanks for all your help I was ready to just order a new transmission and say to heck with it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is it necessary to drop the transmission to replace the shift lever? I don't have any manuals for this tractor except the Owner's Manual. Thanks for all your help I was ready to just order a new transmission and say to heck with it.
Transmission has to come out. Been a couple years since I pulled one apart and repaired one, but not a hard repair. Really not much inside. Keep in mind that it is a single speed transmission and the shift fork just moves a collar between what would be the forward gear and the reverse gear. And don't loose the detent ball and spring when you take out the shift fork. Also also make a point of replacing the seals when I have them apart.

sonora108

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may have to make my own seal I didn't see a seal in the parts breakdown. I worked on jet engines for over 35 years in the Navy and afterward as a tech rep for the Navy and Marine Corps on the F18 and I learned the hard way about skimping on gaskets. Nothing like having one you tried to use over leak and you have to do the job you just finished all over again.