Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.
They certainly don't blend their own oils. They simply contract with one of the big blenders.
Kawasaki Ktech is blended by Citgo. Really it just has a higher amount of zinc than Auto oils.

Threads
TSC carries it up here in the Great White North. I need it for a few of my older machines so I always have a few quarts on hand.

Mezman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking for Castrol 30W oil and cannot find it anywhere, on-line or locally. I've checked AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot. So I decided to try for other brands, brands I recognize, not this cheap unknown stuff. The only straight 30W I can find is Super Tech but I have seen the independent wear test run on it and is ABSOLUTELY NOT as good as the nationally-recognized name brands.
Oddly enough, dollar general sells it. Surely there's one in a small town near you or 5 miles away in any direction.

Vic bellan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking for Castrol 30W oil and cannot find it anywhere, on-line or locally. I've checked AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot. So I decided to try for other brands, brands I recognize, not this cheap unknown stuff. The only straight 30W I can find is Super Tech but I have seen the independent wear test run on it and is ABSOLUTELY NOT as good as the nationally-recognized name brands.
Go for Amsoil, you'll never look back

three8

Forum Newbie
Threads
The SuperTech may not be as good as some national brands. Well, you can do your changes on shorter intervals if you feel it does not provide adequate longevity. Checking the links, $10 for a quart of Pennzoil is a bit much for me. The Walmart links are less pricey at least right now. I cannot understand $40 for a gallon of 30W, no matter the brand.
I'd use the SuperTech as it meets the standards specified. These machines are not in the same class as a 1911 Harley so should not need more than the manufacturer required. To each their own as likely no one will agree with my comment. I use SuperTech 30 non-detergent in my B&S branded china compressor. Lots better than the muck that was in there when I got it.
I believe SuperTech is manufacatured by Valvoline

jromeo1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Amsoil makes a 5W-30 and 10W-30 small engine oil specifically designed for small 4-stroke power equipment including mowers. This is what the spec says for both:

Use 5W-30 Synthetic Small-Engine Oil in small engines found in (not limited to) snowblowers, generators, power washers and other equipment that requires SAE 30 or 5W-30 motor oil, including those made by Briggs & Stratton,* Honda,* Kohler,* Champion,* Generac,* Toro,* Ariens,* Troy Bilt,* John Deere,* MTD* and Husqvarna.

Use 10W-30 Synthetic Small-Engine Oil in small engines found in (not limited to) mowers (zero-turn, riding, stand-on, push), generators, power washers and other equipment that requires SAE 30 or 10W-30 motor oil, including those made by Briggs & Stratton, Honda, Kubota,* Kawasaki,* Kohler, Tecumseh,* Robin,* Onan,* Wisconsin,* Powertrain,* Yanmar,* Linamar* and Vanguard.*

So I just want to say that you should NOT be using a car oil for your mower. Two reasons.
1. Automobile engines are water-cooled. Mowers are air-cooled and get a lot hotter. The addidtives in small engine oils are designed to counter these high temps.
2. Car oils have no zinc because zinc will contaminate the catalytic converter. But, you need the protection of zinc in a small engine due to the higher compression (serves as a cushion against metal-to-metal wear).
I do not care if you use Amsoil or not - there are other small engine oils out there, but be smart about what you put in your $20,000 machine!

tgzzzz

Threads
I love oil threads! Do it on the grass and keep it slippery.

sessman55

Threads
Kinetix oil is a high-zinc oil formulated for air cooled engines since they run at higher temperatures than auto engines which are liquid cooled.

Freddie21

Threads
Meet the manufacture's oil specs and anything else may be wasted money. People think the more clear the oil, the better. Not true. Many costly additives go into making it clear. I run any full synthetic oil that meets the engines specs. Synthetic oil withstands much higher temperatures. Keep it clean and full, I've never had a lubrication related issue. Want to say a couple dollars, use the blend.