Can't figure it out

coolted

Threads
I have a 1996 Silver seried Lawn Boy. model 10227. Has good compression, new plug, good A/F,, thoroughly cleaned carb, new float and needle valve, I even sanded the rust off of the coil. New seals and reed. This thing will start on the first pull, will run right up to high idle, but it sounds like it's only hitting on every other stroke. It is a compleetely even miss, not random like some other 2 cycles. It will smooth out under a rather heavy load. I don't want to give up on it...what do you think? I don't know what else to do. The only thing I can come up with is to mess around with the float level, but that's a lot of work for troubleguessing...

BTW... new here, nice to meet you.

Mower manic

Threads
Hey coolted,
Your might be better off posting this in the Lawn Boy section. Sounds like it might be a problem that has been solved before. We have some serious Lawn Boy freaks here.
Do you think it might be a coil magneto timming thing? Sounds to me that it's a possibility.

CajunCub

Threads
Check the flywheel key to see if it is partially sheered...throws the timing off just enough to get a miss fire. Had it been a 4 stroke it might not even run. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

coolted

Threads
Key is ok. Just had it completely apart, runs just the same as before.

CajunCub

Threads
Ok...Check your flywheel magnets. If on the inside they may have moved, if on the outside they could be not strong enough to fire the coil. From there you got to do a coil check or replacement.

coolted

Threads
Ok, simple enough. The coil is the only thing havn't replaced. I'll look at the magnets, too. Thanks, I had run out of ideas. Interestingly, nobody in the lawn boy forum has replied...

benski

Threads
It doesn't sound like much of a suspect in this instance, but make sure your blade isn't loose. :smile:

CajunCub

Threads
I was a Lawnboy trained tech back years ago:cool:.....The Blade idea is interesting, but that would make a knocking sound instead of a miss-fire.

benski

Threads
I was a Lawnboy trained tech back years ago:cool:.....The Blade idea is interesting, but that would make a knocking sound instead of a miss-fire.

It'll occasionally cause a terrific kick back problem as well as a knocking or rattling sound, at least on the 4 stroke stuff. Plus, it's a really easy check:smile:.