Can you buy too big of a zero turn?

ge66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am late to this party and maybe you’ve already made the decision. If you can mow your 1/3 acre with a nice $300 (just guessing) mower in an hour, your decision is more whether to invest $8,000 (Z422) to mow in say 15 minutes. There is the issue of scalping on turns on the slope, and even on the flat, depending on speed. I have been mowing 5+ acres with a Scag Cheetah for several years and still have difficulty not scalping (with the inside rear tire) on turns no matter how careful or slow I attempt the turn. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the ZTR, but I use it on the larger property. I use a Simplicity Broadmoor on the 1.5 acre yard here at home, which takes about an hour. Good luck!

Lawn Addict
Threads

Can you buy too big of a zero turn? Yes.​

My Buddy in N.C. did getting a 60" deck, with his rolling landscape it created many areas he has to push mow now..
No joy for him,..

Gord Baker

Threads
I am late to this party and maybe you’ve already made the decision. If you can mow your 1/3 acre with a nice $300 (just guessing) mower in an hour, your decision is more whether to invest $8,000 (Z422) to mow in say 15 minutes. There is the issue of scalping on turns on the slope, and even on the flat, depending on speed. I have been mowing 5+ acres with a Scag Cheetah for several years and still have difficulty not scalping (with the inside rear tire) on turns no matter how careful or slow I attempt the turn. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the ZTR, but I use it on the larger property. I use a Simplicity Broadmoor on the 1.5 acre yard here at home, which takes about an hour. Good luck!
Be sure that you are not pulling back too much on the inside wheel steering arm. I have watched people actually reversing the inside wheel, tearing up turf.