Export thread

Can I put smaller wheels on my push mower?

H

hcliffe

I have an old Craftsman push mower, Model is 917.377130, 6hp. It has 9 inch wheels and one has broken. I'm having a hard time finding a 9 inch wheel without spending a fortune. I can get two 8 inch wheels with metal supports for $10 each. Can I put these smaller wheels on the back without problem? The mower has self propelled, but its front wheel drive. Thanks for any help.

sgkent

sgkent

look on CL and see if anyone has a free mower they want to get rid of that has 9" wheels

N

nbpt100

Look on Ebay.....
It depends on the difference. What I am getting at is if you have 14 inch wheels now the difference will be 5 inches and that can be real awkward. It may not be practical. So what size is on their now.?

B

bertsmobile1

I have an old Craftsman push mower, Model is 917.377130, 6hp. It has 9 inch wheels and one has broken. I'm having a hard time finding a 9 inch wheel without spending a fortune. I can get two 8 inch wheels with metal supports for $10 each. Can I put these smaller wheels on the back without problem? The mower has self propelled, but its front wheel drive. Thanks for any help.
Well you will be 1/2" lower at the back which will cause the blade to heel so each blade of grass will get cut twice once by the front and again a the back 1/2" lower
Note this effect gets less as you go left right
Some times this can cause a problem with catching & throwing
OTOH if you can space the rear wheels 1/2" higher then you are on a winner

N

nbpt100

Ahhh, you did say they are 9 inches. If you can adjust the wheel height so the deck is level, you should be ok. Or as level as you can get it.

H

hcliffe

Thanks guys

N

nbpt100

Let us know how you make out.

S

slomo

Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply and guessing others have wheels of all sizes. Would look cool with 24" Dubs on her.

sgkent

sgkent

put on 8" wheels and raise the ground an inch .............. 🤪