Can I change an 11" tire?

fritz1255

Threads
The front tire on my zero turn mower is toast - side wall is ripped. It is 11" x 4.00 - 5". I have changed dozens of bike tires, but never on a lawn tractor. My friendly local garage will change it for about $20, but adding in the cost of tire and tube, I might as well buy a whole new wheel assembly. Is it as easy as a bike tire?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That size and type of tire is high on my list of difficult ones to replace. Because of the stiff side walls and small size means you will be fighting, cussing and end up going to the shop in the end. Decision is up to you.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you don't have the tools you will a lot of bad words to get it done.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As said tires om 5 inch rim are a pain to dismount and remount. When ZTR tires the only one that is worst is the 4 inch rims. I do both but is a real pain to them. Most shops will install TR87 inner stems too but I install the the TR13 stems here as the TR87 are a pain to get air into as the stems lay against the rims.

Btw the mini tire changer that HFT has simply doesn't work on these either other than breaking the beads.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
As said tires om 5 inch rim are a pain to dismount and remount. When ZTR tires the only one that is worst is the 4 inch rims. I do both but is a real pain to them. Most shops will install TR87 inner stems too but I install the the TR13 stems here as the TR87 are a pain to get air into as the stems lay against the rims.

Btw the mini tire changer that HFT has simply doesn't work on these either other than breaking the beads.
Those 4 and 5" rim tires are a pain no matter what you do with them. Just hard to work with, and the valve stems are hard to access no matter what style is installed. the curved stems butt up against the rim, and the straight stems wedge against the center axle tube

Mower King

Threads
The front tire on my zero turn mower is toast - side wall is ripped. It is 11" x 4.00 - 5". I have changed dozens of bike tires, but never on a lawn tractor. My friendly local garage will change it for about $20, but adding in the cost of tire and tube, I might as well buy a whole new wheel assembly. Is it as easy as a bike tire?
Just so you know in case you call a shop about it....that is called a 5" tire because it goes on a 5" wheel....it's not called a 11" tire.
Spend the cost it takes to have a shop do it....you'll be a lot happier in the end!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

I have the HFT small tire changer and use it all the time to change 4 and 5 inch tires. The bucket of tire soap and air blast bead seater makes all the difference.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have the HFT small tire changer and use it all the time to change 4 and 5 inch tires. The bucket of tire soap and air blast bead seater makes all the different
Then maybe I got a different version as even using oil I can only get halfway around before I can no longer pull the mounting tool. I have to resort to flat blade screwdrivers. Now brand new are a little easier to mount but even on most I have to use the screwdrivers.

I know use enough pull as I have bent the center post of the changer.

fritz1255

Threads
Okay thanks folks, you definitely talked me out of it. I am going to try a " no flat" tire and wheel combo. It's $40 from eBay.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then maybe I got a different version as even using oil I can only get halfway around before I can no longer pull the mounting tool. I have to resort to flat blade screwdrivers. Now brand new are a little easier to mount but even on most I have to use the screwdrivers.

I know use enough pull as I have bent the center post of the changer.
Those 4 and 5" rim tires are a pain no matter what you do with them. Just hard to work with, and the valve stems are hard to access no matter what style is installed. the curved stems butt up against the rim, and the straight stems wedge against the center axle tube
I use the shorty TR412 valve stems. Only about a inch long. Seem to work pretty good.