Can Battery Mowers Cut Short? Lowest Setting.

volvik

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've watched a number of good objective reviews and they seem to suggest that the battery mowers (Ego 56v/Toro 60v) work best at >/= 2" in height otherwise the small chute to the bag will plug too quickly. Now in fairness, they're talking about grass types, southern US, that I'm not familiar with.

Looking for any user input on this, hopefully someone in the PNW, who uses one at a low setting. Thanks in advance!

MowerMike

Threads
The deck design on battery powered (cordless) electric mowers is the same as gas powered mowers, so I don’t think this issue has anything to do with the type of power a mower uses. Since I don’t cut my grass shorter than 2 inches and don’t bag my clippings, I can’t comment on this issue.

dougmacm

Threads
I'm not familiar with the EGO or Toro mowers, but the Greenworks based 21" steel deck mowers (I have 2 40V Greenworks & 1 80V Kobalt) bag better than my old staggered wheel deck Lawn-Boy's. The bags fill more efficiently and in the real world hold more grass. The deck opening into the rear bag is about 6.75 x 8" and the chute is pretty short. Bag capacity is supposedly 1.7 bushels however I can typically get 1.8~1.9 bushels per bag.

I usually cut at 2-1/8" or 2-5/8" but there are two lower positions of 1-7/8 & 1-3/8. I think I've even cut at 1-7/8" a few times ... on a really flat lawn (and the right type of grass), these mowers should cut fine at the lowest 1-3/8" setting.

I'm in Wisconsin, so maybe similar grass to PNW.

I mulched with my 40V Greenworks Pusher yesterday at the 2-1/8" height at my wife's office for the 1st time this season and grass was pretty long in some spots. Got it to stall out on me a few times in these long spots, but this would NOT have happened if I were bagging or maybe even mulching 1 or 2 settings higher.

You can also make a gas mower stall out if you try to mulch or bag too much grass height in one pass.

So if you want to cut your grass really short (either bagging or mulching), the key is to start with grass that is relatively short to begin with ... and this hold true for both gas powered and battery powered mowers.

Doug

Attachments

• GW Mower Bag Full-RS.JPG
    GW Mower Bag Full-RS.JPG
    612.7 KB · Views: 1
  • GW-40V-Bag-Chute-Opening-RS.JPG
    GW-40V-Bag-Chute-Opening-RS.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 1

mitchstein443

Threads
My ryobi electric riding mower cuts don to about 1 inch with bagger and works just fine...