Can a governor spring cause smoking?

cuckoochris

Threads
You asked: I'm wondering if this could be pre OHV?

Probably pre OHV.

Being a Briggs 11 hp probably single cylinder L-Head, (valves in head) and the model type code will be on the air cowling tag.
If it's a OHV the info will be stamped into the top of the valve cover.
You do need to pull the air shroud and clean the engine fins. If the fins are clogged the engine will overheat and may pop out a valve seat. You can use a air compressor or a leaf blower for cleaning. Good idea to give the engine a cleaning quite often.

Look under the seat for a complete tractor model number and if found post it? I have one that I cannot find tractor model info so as to look for parts? I have a good engine for it but not going to install unless I can find a IPL for parts.

When you find the engine info you can search on-line for the CORRECT governor spring. Pay attention to the code number when looking for a governor spring. Not knowing the model number you may have incresed the engine rpm's on a old engine, plus if the sump oil was contaminated with gas it's still getting some gas fumes in the crankcase as it gets hot. Make sure the new oil is not getting thinned out with gas Sometimes them old Briggs engines won't smoke as much if the oil level is down about 1/8 inch on the dip stick. (they want to naturally seek a little bit lower level than completely full)
Also if that is a L-head single cylinder engine keep a heads up when working on the carb and handle it carefully. Some of them old two piece flo jet GOOD carbs are pricy and hard to find. (good low priced ones are rare as hens teeth)

If you have to pull the carb for a good cleaning here is a good reference link for small engine carb repair:
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/
Great info, thank you!!! Based on some of the responses it probably doesn't have over head valves, so a blown head gasket is out of the question as a reason for the smoking. I'm just trying to narrow things down for the next time I go and look at it. I think my plan is going to be to change the oil again to hopefully get more of the gas out. Then fill it with fresh oil, a little on the lighter side and give it another try. I'll also look at taking the covers off and cleaning out anything that might be making it overheat. Thanks again!!

judy0320

Forum Newbie
Threads
for a mower that age I would run 20w50 motor oil. I run that motor oil in all of the engines that are in my fleet of greens mowers, bunker rakes and out front rotary mowers. One thing that you could do is when you finish mowing, take the engine down and install a set of chrome rings and replace your upper and lower seal.

Freddie21

Threads
Thanks for the responses! Didn't want to write a book about the situation yesterday, so I kept it short. It's my dad's mower, a few weeks ago my brother went to cut the grass and noticed that there was gas leaking through the carb. I have no idea how long it was like that. It may have been used all last year like that. I fixed the carb and drained the oil/gas out and put in fresh oil. When I pulled the carb off I noticed that the spring wasn't connected to the governor, so I just put hook in it and reattached it. So the spring is effectively shorter that it was. I started it up yesterday and started to mow, first time I've used it. That's when it started putting out clouds of blue smoke. It sounds like the spring shouldn't have anything to do with the smoking, so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. The mower looks like this if anyone is familiar with it and knows how old it is. Thanks again for the help!
Hey Cuckochris, you mentioned red Briggs fuel filter. Is it required on a Briggs or can paper filters be used, I do think the paper filters are finer micron in size.