Can a garden tractor be made more quiet

bruceha2000

Threads
If there is an existing thread, please point me to it.

I have a new to me, FREE, Yardman 800. I don't think it is any louder than your general garden tractor but I would like to make it as quiet as possible so my daughter doesn't have to wear her hearing protection in the house while I mow. Yes, she is overly sensitive to loud noise.

Does anyone have ideas on how I could accomplish this?

Thanks,
Bruce

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I've seen farm tractor mufflers welded onto exhaust flange of a stock muffler come into the repair shop but I am not sure if you would lose any power ? We can't hear crap anymore from drills grinders compressors and 95.5 FM ...can't say if it is quieter ?

natenkiki2004

Threads
When you start messing with exhaust, it starts affecting the performance of the engine. It has to breathe with a certain amount of flow/resistance both in and out of the engine. You could try to get some muffler work done but at the very least I would expect a carb adjustment required in order to run properly with a modified exhaust.

panabiker

Threads
I heard good results from people using this muffler installed with a resonator.
Model 5S Mufflers

This Youtube video shows the effect although not on a mower but a generator.
Super Trapp Quiet Muffler on Generator - YouTube

I was tempted by it, but for $150, I have better place to spend money. If you do try it, please let us know how it goes. I may still do it since I like to mow grass in the evenings around someone else's dinner time.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think a lot of the noise from a Briggs engine comes from the clinking and clanking of the engine itself so I do not know if you would have a significant reduction in noise benefit for the money you spend. Also I do not know why they call it a quiet muffler when it also requires a resonator. The resonator looks rather long (6 ") and will make the muffler assembly rather lengthy requiring a lot more room and distance to travel. Please respond back with your noise reduction results before and after install.:smile:

bruceha2000

Threads
I heard good results from people using this muffler installed with a resonator.
Model 5S Mufflers

This Youtube video shows the effect although not on a mower but a generator.
Super Trapp Quiet Muffler on Generator - YouTube.
Interesting. Sounds like an entirely different machine with that muffler. It ran rather rough with 'open pipe' and stock mufflers. Don't suppose they tuned the engine between stock muffler and the "I'm selling this" muffler. Down right purrs!