Can’t get lawnmower to fire up just turns over need help

Pista211

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can’t get lawnmower to fire up just turns over need help
I have a slt15/54 club cadet, about 16 years old
Just had it tuned up last month
Was running fine till yesterday started it up and was running rough took it out of shed to Grease,
Tried to start it up 15 minutes later and all it is doing now is just turning over but will not fire up ,
Here’s what I did, took plugs out and checked if they where spark and they were, then took off air filter and checked all looked good then I sprayed starter fluid and again no fire, I checked safety switch under seat all good I need help anyone been down those road, and figured it out??? Please help thank you
Steven

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'd give the shop that did the work a call. That would be my beginning point. It hasn't been long enough that something they did may have affected it. That said 3 things are needed - spark, compression, and an appx air to fuel mixture. Find which one is missing.

Pista211

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd give the shop that did the work a call. That would be my beginning point. It hasn't been long enough that something they did may have affected it. That said 3 things are needed - spark, compression, and an appx air to fuel mixture. Find which one is missing.
Thank you The only problem is the guy I bought it from told me club cadet did the work on it before he sold it to me wondering if they would still honor even if I am not the one who took it in

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
what proof do you have that anyone did any work on it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has a spark and does not fire on starting fluid then
1) plug is bad , ry a new one
2) spark is out of time, remove the flywheel retainer and check the key
3) one or both valves way out of adjustment, pull the rocker cover off & check
It makes life a lot easier if you post the full details of the mower off the ID tag .
And the same for the engine

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I feel a massive spam attack coming on. Does anyone know a medicine I can take to avoid it?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How did the spark plug get imprinted into every male human brain as the first part to look at/change out?

Crazy thing is, I can't recall the last time I've replaced a plug in a mower. They rarely ever fail unless you drop one. ????????

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a slt15/54 club cadet, about 16 years old
Bet the shroud has never been off. Also with this many years on her, I would replace the fuel lines, filter and clean the tank out.
Describe what a tune up is? Increase rpm's to 8600? What work was actually done?
Was running fine till yesterday started it up and was running rough took it out of shed to Grease,
Any mice around your place?
Here’s what I did, took plugs out and checked if they where spark and they were,
Sounds like you have spark. There's one off the list.
hen took off air filter and checked all looked good
Sounds like you have air. One more off the list.
then I sprayed starter fluid and again no fire,
Check all safety switches. Something is not adding up here. Should of fired off if everything else is good.

When was the last valve adjustment?

Do you have compression?

Ever pulled the shroud and cleaned the cooling fins?

Check the carb solenoid if you have one.

Pista211

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bet the shroud has never been off. Also with this many years on her, I would replace the fuel lines, filter and clean the tank out.

Describe what a tune up is? Increase rpm's to 8600? What work was actually done?

Any mice around your place?

Sounds like you have spark. There's one off the list.

Sounds like you have air. One more off the list.

Check all safety switches. Something is not adding up here. Should of fired off if everything else is good.

When was the last valve adjustment?

Do you have compression?

Ever pulled the shroud and cleaned the cooling fins?

Check the carb solenoid if you have one.
Thank you for your response, I didn’t know there’s more than one safety switch which is under the seat I took that off and taped it up really good, also point to note when break is engaged, will crank, if brake is not engaged will not crank. So I can include on my phone deduction which is not Mechanic glee certified by no means lol that it will not crank if there is a safety switch not working. And brake is engaged and turns over, cranks but will not fire. Both spark plugs tested and do spark. Fuel lines have been replaced fuel filter has been replaced. Air filter is new when I look down in the carburetor I see Gas i’m wondering if the floats are stuck? Would that cause it not to fire? Wondering if carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Just called previous owner said he has done nothing with the carburetor all maintenance on the lawnmower was done professionally he said.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
How did the spark plug get imprinted into every male human brain as the first part to look at/change out?

Crazy thing is, I can't recall the last time I've replaced a plug in a mower. They rarely ever fail unless you drop one. ????????
But they do fail. Just because they spark out the compression zone does not mean they are good. I even had ones that were fine while running to just not fire when they get heat soaked. I couple recently that were shorted. I even had one in a two cycle that caused dieseling.

Btw those little inline lights work great even when you have a shorted plug.